James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

My sister received an email that she thought was from me. it

Customer Question

my sister received an email that she thought was from me. it had my name and all my contacts. how can I keep this from happening and should I change my email provider. I use yahoo
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: yahoo.com
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser, either firefox or explorer
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am afraid I am not too good at computer savvy. I don't know how to troubleshoot my email
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. I believe you are using a Windows computer since you mentioned Internet Explorer as your web browser. What version of Windows are you using: Vista, 7, 8 or 10?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
7
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Jess M. replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about the trouble you are experiencing with your email.

I believe your email account was compromised and that the hacker was able to gain access to your contacts. This can be done without the hacker having to manually access your email account. This is usually done by a malware infection and the said malware can then collect the information on your system to send our unwanted emails to your contacts.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch on your screen? When I am remotely connected to your computer, I will help you with the following:

1. Change your email password ***** secure it and to avoid future attacks
  2. Perform a malware cleanup to ensure your whole Windows 7 system (not just your emails) are safe

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess