Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

We have had issues with our apple tv and are trying to reset

Customer Question

Hi we have had issues with our apple tv and are trying to reset everything. The problem is it doesn't recognize the password ***** wrote down ( it did until Saturday) and we don't use the gmail account so the username and password ***** is also wrong. Then when we put in the birthday it says it is incorrect. Help!
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: we never use gmail to be honest and I think it might have been my son's old gmail account that is on file. But we had no issues with netflix etc on the apple tv until this past weekend. I have been working with apple but without the gmail info they can not help us
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: we use verizon.net on our home computer
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: we have tried the 2 gmail accounts and the password ***** set up, but it says it is wrong. When I put in forgot password ***** it sends a verification code to the verizon email, I put that in and it says it is not recognized
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am technically challenged???
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Email
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok can you just email me the answer - i have to get up to go to work in 5 hours and am having a hard time staying awake.
Expert:  Dustin replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 24 days ago.

The difficulty you are running into here is an issue of dual addressing. What I mean is, even though you know the gmail account you have been using with the apple TV.. Its not the Gmail accounts password ***** it needs.

Instead, it needs your apple id password, and your apple id is probably your gmail.

So in effect you have two passwords, one for gmail itself. And then another apple id password ***** that gmail account when you use apple products.. Confusing yes?

What you need to do is go to this page

https://iforgot.apple.com

Enter your gmail address as the apple id, and then have APPLE send a password ***** to gmail. ( this wont reset gmails password.. But it WILL reset apples password ***** associates with gmail )

Once you have set a new apple id password, use that new password ***** your apple tv and you should be able to sign in.

Now, I dont intend for you to struggle through what I have wrote.. When you are off work tomorrow Id like to directly work with you every step of the way till we solve this issue.

So I will look forward to hearing from you tomorrow, and you will have my full support in resolving this issue, from beginning to end.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.