Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Email expert with over 5 years experience
50836188

When I want to forward an email I like to clean it up.

Customer Question

When I want to forward an email I like to clean it up. Usually I select and highlight what I want to delete. For the past few day when I touch select nothing happens. I can select all but can't control what I want to save & what I would like to delete. Select isn't working on my iPhone & iPad. Thank you Paula Simm
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: Gmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: iPhone app
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: For Gmail
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I called Apple and they said it's a Gmail problem. I can copy & paste on my phone.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Let's work on one device at a time..

On the iPhone..

Hold down the POWER and HOME button together until you see the Apple logo and after you see the logo, release the buttons. After the restart, try again.

Let me know the results

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Did that already & the problem is the same. Didn't help.
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Are you using the built-in email app or using the Gmail app from the app store?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Which one? I asked if you are using the built-in email app OR the Gmail app.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Gmail app. In the white box with the red M
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
that's the Gmail app? Right?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Yes, that is the Gmail app.

Please allow me a minute to test within my Gmail app

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sounds good
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

I was able to view the exact issue that you are having which means that it is an issue within their app causing the issue. I will send a note to their developers so that they can work on a fix for it.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My husband has the same app and he isn't having trouble.
What's next for me? Thank you Josh!
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

It is possible that your husband has an older version of the app -- The latest version is having this issue. I cannot tell if the issue is with all users or just some users but I can tell you that I am having the same issue so that means it is an issue with their latest version.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok. Thank you for letting them know. So I just wait for them to fix it?
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Can you use your husband's device and go to Settings then Gmail -- It will say the version number. Please let me know what it says

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have his phone & his mail app isn't like my app. His is a blue square with a white envelope. No red M.
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

Okay, that is the reason then.

Your husband is using the built-in app from the iPhone/iPad which does not have any issues. You are using the Gmail app from the App store which is having issues. If you do not care which version to use then you can add your email to the built-in email app and it will fix the issue otherwise you will have to wait for a fix from the developers which can take days to weeks.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How do I get that one? U will need to walk me through it. Thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

The built-in mail app is already installed on your iPhone and iPad. By default, it is on the bottom area but you could have moved it so you will need to look for that icon on those devices then open it. Once you open it for the first time, it will prompt you to add an email address. There is an option for Gmail which will prompt you for your login information.

If you can't find the app for some reason then you may have deleted it a while back. Go into the App store and type in Mail and you will see that app to download.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Josh replied 16 days ago.

You're very welcome!

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 15 days ago.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.