Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Email expert with over 5 years experience
50836188

I have a business account that has had the email forwarded

Customer Question

I have a business account that has had the email forwarded to a Gmail account that I did not create. I just discovered this problem yesterday and have been trying to contact someone to get information on the account that my email is being forwarded to. I have finally found this chat site I assume is legit Can you offer any assistance?
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: I just discovered this late yesterday and went into my account and stopped the forwarding. I am trying to find out when the fake forwarding account was established or any other information that might help me evaluate the potential damage and where to start.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Phone & web browser.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This is an obvious complicated situation. I probably need to fill in the entire story if you can possibly help me and are willing to do so.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The business email is with Suddenlink and the fake forward email is with Google. I have checked with Suddenlink and they have searched their email history records and verify the forward of the emails from my Suddenlink account existed, but they are not sure how long it has been going on. The email account that is receiving the emails is***@******.***. I need to know any information you can provide that might help me to evaluate what the probable damage might be and when it may have started, such as when the mail box was created. I understand you have legal privacy requirements, but would like any information that is legal and might help.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Josh replied 22 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 22 days ago.

The issue with email accounts are that they can be almost 100% anonymous if the account is created that way. There isn't a database that can be viewed to pull up an email address and determine anything about it that might help you.

Your own provider is the only one that can look up things such as when the forwarded was started and how long that has been going on. If they are unable to help you with that information then request a supervisor. If the supervisor is unable to help then the information is available on their servers but it could require a subpoena. If they can view the forwarded emails then they should be able to view the dates of those emails going back to give you an idea of the start date.

Cyber Crimes are handled seriously by the government so you can report it here: https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ccips/reporting-computer-internet-related-or-intellectual-property-crime

Reporting the issue won't help you with finding out account information but it can help with shutting down a rogue account if it has happened to other people.

To sum everything up, there isn't a way for myself or anyone other than Suddenlink to view any information about the issue. I know that you have started with that method but I would suggest going back to them and pressing harder. The good news is that your account is now back in your control and I would recommend a password ***** to be performed as well.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 22 days ago.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.