James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I did a computer reset over the weekend because my mouse was

Customer Question

i did a computer reset over the weekend because my mouse was totally not working on my computer. I lost all my thunderbird stuff ..I thought I wasnt going to lose it because it said I would keep all important data. I have a back up on my hard drive but I am having trouble figueing out how to change the profile etc... I really want the one that was current from several days ago if it is on my computer somewhere
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: still learning it I had it 6 month but I am not a techy
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: through my thunderbird
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I want to find my current profile
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  michelleclive replied 21 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

how many emails you have on the Thunderbird?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I don't care about my email..I want to get my folders back and my address book but they have such a confusing system to restore the profile

Import an existing *.mab file using the MoreFunctionsForAddressBook add-on (recommended)

If you are moving a *.mab file from one Thunderbird profile to another the simplest way is to use the MoreFunctionsForAddressBook extension to import the address books (as is, without having to convert them). It will copy the files and update prefs.js.

This is the steps to move the address book to another profile.

Recovering address books from a damaged profile

In the unfortunate event that your profile is damaged, it is possible to recover your address books, even if the profile itself is unusable. Of course you have made regular backups which you can simply import, but just in case you hadn't... read on.

First, copy the damaged profile, or at least the ".mab" files, to a safe place. Next, you will have to make a new profile, configure your accounts and preferences, etc. Start Thunderbird and go to the address book. Create some new address books ("File -> New -> Address Book"). Create as many address books as you had in the damaged profile, and give them names like "AB1", "AB2", ...

Now exit Thunderbird, and go to the new profile folder. You will see files with names like "abook-1.mab", "abook-2.mab", with small file sizes, because they are empty. Copy the saved ".mab" files from the old, damaged profile into the new profile. For each ".mab" file from the old profile, there should be a file with the same name in the new profile. If there isn't, rename the old file, giving it the name of a new file which is not used yet.

Start Thunderbird again, and go to the address book. If all is well, the newly created address books are filled with the contents of the old ones. You can now change the names "AB1", "AB2", ... into something more meaningful by right-clicking on each address book and choosing "Properties".

Of course, if your old address books have been damaged, this procedure will not help.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
this is too difficult for me to do on my own. do you perform remote installations of these recommendeded attempts to restore thunderbird profile?
Expert:  michelleclive replied 20 days ago.

we do have an additional service for remote assistance let me know when you could be online i will send you the link.