Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

What does it mean to add a star to a message? Thunderbird

Customer Question

What does it mean to add a star to a message?
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: Thunderbird receives and sends four emails, 3 hotmail/msn, 1 at&t yahoo?
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: desktop computer/ web browser (and mobile phone occasionally)
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None ... I just don't know what the advantage is to adding a star to a message.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How come I get 2 duplicate log in emails each time I send a message?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Barun replied 17 days ago.

Hi, and thank you for your question.

The star option in Thunderbird is simply one of its multiple "tag" options, and is generally used to mark emails that are specifically important to the user. You can use stars for your own convenience, e.g. to mark emails for reply at a future date, to keep them separate from unimportant emails or to group together emails related to a particular topic or sender.

As an example, to group together starred emails across your entire list of folders, you may click on the Quick Filter toolbar at the top and then click on the star button on the yellow toolbar that shows up below, to only show messages that have stars applied to them. You can also automatically add a star to particular types of messages - choose "Tools" then "Message Filters" to create a new filter. Any of your filters (messages from a particular sender, for example) can have the "Add Star" action applied to them.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly take a moment to submit one of the five stars at the top of this page to rate my service. Thank you.