James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I am not receiving my email messages. I have on my screen a

Customer Question

I am not receiving my email messages. I have on my screen a message that says I need to change my Authentication method in the 'Account settings/server settings'. I do not know how to find that, or what it would need to be changed to. I have windows 7.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: Mozilla Thunderbird
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: I have a desktop. I click on the inbox button when the screen comes up.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Basically none. Everything I have tried has not worked.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I called a Wavecable office and a person tere gave me some information about an incoming port '99'; Authentication with the SSL turned on; an outgoing port set at 25 with the SSL port turned off; and authentication set to 'none'. I understand none of that, but possibly you do.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 25 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What email do you use, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?
Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Do you see the Tools menu at the top in Thunderbird?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 25 days ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason