James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Trying to change my email passwords (incoming and outgoing)

Customer Question

Hi! Trying to change my email passwords (incoming and outgoing) and now get error messages for both!
JA: Just to clarify, how often have you been getting this particular message?
Customer: Just today. My bank card says my email may have been "compromised" so to get it reactivated, I was told to change my email password ***** run an anti-virus program then call back to the bank! I entered new incoming password, clicked the choice to save it, but now neither incoming nor outgoing will work! It was working fine before I started this. Thanks
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Most often on my laptop, occasionally on my cell phone. I just need desperately to get it working on my laptop now; will worry about the cell later. Thanks!
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Only the option in Thunderbird but I've already forgotten what it asked me to do, since it didn't work! I used something I found online from a university (wisc?) website with instructions for how to change both passowords - deleted old, logged off, then logged back on. Email opens but won't download incoming now send; "I get the "change passwords" or "retry" message; and when I look at passwords, it shows the new one I entered for incoming only - now no outgoing password.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm in Guatemala adopting a child; needed to get visa bank card reactivated to pay for more time on my local cell phone; Chase bank instructed me to change email password ***** run antivirus (I called them so am sure it is them); but now I can't do anything - email or phone; need to leave in 1 hour for a meeting! Help!!! Thanks. My bank card will be rejected until I get this done and get it reactivated .... is this a problem? I can try my Paypal card instead ... but it links to the same acct; maybe it will work. Thanks!
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 24 days ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch on your screen?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess