sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

Getting no stop spam that states I signed up for activation,

Customer Question

getting no stop spam that states I signed up for activation
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: outlook hotmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: phone and laptop
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I went in to junk and have filtered to only known addresses
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: emails are rapidly being filled this started at 4:11 cst
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Please check as well the email address of the sender of the spam message if it is already added to your contact list because once an email address is added to your contacts it will be automatically tagged by Hotmail in your safe list. Thus, they will still be able to send you spam even though you have blocked them. Please remove the email addresses from your contact list that sends you spam messages.

Sometimes, the hacker hacks your email address and then stole the contact list and use the known email contacts to send spam email to you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no contact list
They are random spam email that comes in junk box every 10 secs since I put filter in
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are about 400 in past 70 min

OK, if there is no contact list then, filtering cannot stop those emails, because that option can only filter the messages send from the know email address in your contact list.

OK, wait let me check for any other ways.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok they are in English Russian and chinese

OK, open the filter settings once more and select Standard, instead of Exclusive and let me know, if it helps or not ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep changed it
Still only going to junk which is good
But junk is up another 200 in past 10 min
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No started up again to my inbox
So I switched back to exclusive

OK, are you getting the email from the same email address or each email is from seperate email address ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All different
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All different emails
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
some to seem to get thru block

Yes, it seems hotmail is facing some problem with the filters, this same thing happened in June , when the junk filter broke and users started to getting spam emails. Please let me check my own email address.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

I got some , but not that huge. Did you clicked the Contact icon and checked, if some email addresses have been added in that or not ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No did not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It stopped before the switchback

Did you saved the settings, after selecting back the Exclusive filter settings ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked it twice
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just stopped

This will stop slowly, as this is the same issue, which occurred in June, it seems Microsoft is trying to reconfigure server security settings, I will recommend you to open an another email account with Gmail and start to use that address, as from my experience I can say that Hotmail is becoming a soft target for the hackers and most of the cases of hacked email we handle is from Hotmail users. Let me know, if you need any further help otherwise, please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks

Thanks for using Justanswer.com, please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.