IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a gmail account set up to text a G-xxxxxx code to my

Customer Question

I have a gmail account set up to text a G-xxxxxx code to my cellphone. I no longer have the phone and cannot add my gmail account to my new phone because it requires this security code to open my account.
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: I replaced my cell last month and this has been an issue since then. I cannot log into my gmail account setting to remove the security code requirement.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: phone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I went to c. whatever recover and it only explains who to recover a password.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've explained everything there are no other issues other than this "text of security code"
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

I will do my best to check for all possible options for you to regain access to your e-mail account and will let you know what to do. Please type your GMail address here so that I can check it.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI I am available to answer your questions to fix my inability to access my gmail account
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello again!

Please type your GMail address here so that I can check your account, and I will let you know what can be done to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My gmail account is***@******.*** If you need something else please let me know
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

I checked "*****@******.***" account and it is an active account. Please tell me if you forgot the password ***** cannot sign in because of that, or you know the password, but the problem is with something else?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My password ***** ***** The problem is when I attempt to access my gmail account, it sends an access code text to an old phone that has been disabled. All I want to do is disable the text security function from my gmail account so that it no longer tries to send a code to my old phone.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the update!

Since you have 2-step verification enabled for your Google account, you need to confirm the security code sent to the associated phone number. If you don't have access to the original phone any more, you should still be able to sign in by using a trusted computer (web browser) where you selected not to be asked for new verification codes. Such option is available once you successfully sign in.

So, please use the same computer and web browser you previously used to check if you will be able to sign in without the need to typing a new verification code.

Let me know if it worked.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am on that secured computer. It gives me a choice either "enter the G code sent to my phone"or I can "Try another way to sign in" When I select the Try another way to sign in link, it brings me to a Google Account with 2 task options get a text message with verification code sent to phone or Ask google for help getting back into your account.. I selected the latter. Now it says it is going to take at least two days to get back into my account using google help. I am fine with this... But I am questioning this process??? because it also says if I want to get into my account more quickly to either: 1. wait until I can use my phone-which I cannot; 2. Use a registered computer where I previously chose to not be asked for the verification code-this is the only computer I've ever used; 3. Get the text message w/verif code-cant be done 4. Trying signing in with a diff 't acct-this is my only acct. then at the bottom is a link to REQUEST GOOGLE HELP. I am done and just need to wait the 2-days or do I have to click the RQUEST GOOGLE HELP link
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

From what I can see, your account doesn't have any other recovery option available, other than your phone number ending in 50. When setting up 2-step verification, GMail advises adding a secondary phone number, but also, to print 10 backup verification codes that can be entered instead of a verification code sent to a phone. It seems you haven't set up those security precautions, so you cannot use them now.

What you can try is to click on "Ask Google for help getting back into your account" and then click "Request Google's help". That may offer you another recovery option, especially if you are using a computer that you usually use to access your GMail account.

Try with that and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I selected the Request Googles Help link and it just takes me into the same circle over and over. I never thought my phone plan would be cancelled. My husband cancelled it before I was aware. I am going to try to take my phone back to Verizon and pay for 10 minutes of service so I can retrieve the G verifcation code to access my google account to take the two step verification off.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Since it seems like Google didn't recognize your computer as trusted, the only way to get back into the account is to confirm the correct verification code sent to your old phone number. Hopefully, Verizon will allow you get back to your old phone number so that you can receive that important text message containing a verification code.

Good luck!

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you were able to get your old phone number back in order to receive a verification code for your GMail account?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.