James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

When I open the email handler on my iMac (Sierra), the

Customer Question

When I open the email handler on my iMac (Sierra), the window opens for a few seconds and then closes. If my iMac is not connected to the internet, this does not happen - the mail window stays open. Of course I can't receive any new emails nor send any. How to fix?
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: Internet provider is Time Warner cable, email is***@******.***
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Through the email handler on my iMac, my MacBook Air, and iPhone 6s (and several previous iPhones. Just before this problem arose on my iMac, I was receiving requests to enter my gmail id and password, but it would not take them, just put the request block up again. That was a couple of weeks ago. Not sure I recall correctly, but I think this change may have happened the same time I loaded Sierra.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried to open many times with the same interruption of the email window. Tried it with no internet connection and the window stayed up. Can't find a way to get to the mail settings. Meanwhile, I can reach gmail through Safari from my iMac. It is quite awkward to use though.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of any Please go ahead, and thanks for your help so far.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry you are having trouble. I will help you now.

Do you know the password ***** your gmail account, and have you been able to confirm by actually typing it in on your safari (NOT using a saved password)?