Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Email expert with over 5 years experience
50836188

I deleted a lot of message in Thunderbird and cannot Trash

Customer Question

I deleted a lot of message in Thunderbird and cannot Trash compact the folder due to not enough disk space. Any suggestions?
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: Time Warner Cable
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Directly through Thunderbird on a desktop computer - older using XP.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Have looked at the Thunderbird Profile folder in Documents and Settings and it is 14.2GB. I deleted - I'm sure - several GB of data this past weekend. In the past, when I deleted a GB or so, it would free up about that much on the hard drive (only 74 GB total capacity) and I could usually compact and then delete some more.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need some suggestions on how to compact the folder(s) when I do not have enough working space on the hard drive and there is nothing left to move to an external in order to free up enough space to compact the folder(s).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 month ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - I do not want you to access my computer. Please only offer advice on how to resolve this issue w/o accessing my computer.

I offered the remote as a favor to you because if you follow my instructions incorrectly for this task, you are sure to delete data.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello - are you out there? I've paid and would appreciate some response.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am an old tech - network admin and programmer. Unlike most, I can read code. I was simply looking for a way to free up hard drive space since Thunderbird requires so much working space when it compacts the files / folders.
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 month ago.

Dear Client,

Jason has opted out of your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible. As the previous expert already recommend, I would like to offer you a remote-assistance to fix this issue for you. I saw you weren´t happy about that idea, but it is a good solution to your problem and we can walk through this together, since you are a pro as well. I will show you some programs and places where space can be cleaned up in XP, so that we can possibly compact your database afterwards. Would you agree with that idea possibly now?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Connecting to my desktop is not going to happen. Is that my only option for assistance?

No, but the most comfortable. I will opt out of your question as well, maybe there is another expert that can do it via text.

Thank you very much and all the best wishes to you,

Lorenz Vauck

Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

Hi!

Another expert here --

Have you tried using the Disk Cleanup tool that is built-in the Windows XP OS?

Open My Computer then Right click on the C drive and select Properties

Click on General tab then Disk Cleanup.

If you need more space, try deleting the temp files.

Click on Start then Run then type temp and press OK

Delete the folders that appear and clear the recycle bin.

Please let me know if that opens up enough space so that you can compact.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Been there - done that - only have 439MB available.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

Take a look at this program here: https://windirstat.net/download.html

It will tell you exactly what is taking up the space on your hard drive so you can find out what you want to delete to free up space. It is more detailed than opening Add/Remove programs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know what is hogging the drive. The deleted but yet to be compacted eMails in Thunderbird, the remaining InBox and Sent files from Thunderbird and a large iTunes library.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

I understand but you are in a "catch 22" because compacting will free up space but in order to free up space, you have to delete other files.

Are you able to move some of your iTunes music from your C drive to an external device then move them back after compacting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Apple has made that harder. I'm looking into that at this moment.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

This should be your file location: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

From there, you should be able to cut and paste the files onto an external device.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know that - thank you.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome. Please let me know how it goes

Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

I still have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.