Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Email expert with over 5 years experience
50836188

Not seeing or receiving any mail on my iphone or ipad. I can

Customer Question

not seeing or receiving any mail on my iphone or ipad. I can sign into my yahoo online and see it. I can also see my "sent" mail on both devices, but the inbox is empty!
JA: Have you tried sending yourself an email as a test?
Customer: I can send mail from signing in online I can't see any old mail, not just new. The inbox is blank
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: on phone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: deleted and re-added, forced shut down and real shutdown of both devices
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Email
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

Yahoo Mail recently upgraded the security standards/protocol for their email service, which should be causing this conflict with the Mail app on the iPad/iPhone.

As a workaround, could you please open up the App Store on the devices, and then search for and install the "Yahoo Mail" app from there, and let me know if you are able to access your emails using this app instead?

Please reply back using the box below, and then we will continue further.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can access it thru the app. But I still want it as an account on my device. How can I get back my inbox? My sent is still there
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

PS: Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer (simply "X" it out) if it shows up on this page; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; I'll reply back to you below now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

OK; now, let's test with some manual settings to set up the account on the devices again. Please stand by - typing up the directions now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

OK. Now, please delete and add back your email account manually on the iPad/iPhone as follows:

From the device’s home screen, tap Settings.

On the Settings screen, tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Tap your email account listed, and then tap "Delete Account" at the bottom.

Next, tap Add Account.

Tap Other.

Tap Add Mail Account.

On the New Account screen, complete the following fields:

Name

Address (your full Yahoo email address).

Password - enter a false/incorrect password ***** this will enable iOS to offer a choice between IMAP and POP3 in the next setup screen.

Description

Tap Next; after the device fails to load your email settings automatically, follow the additional instructions below:

Select IMAP.

Enter your Incoming Mail Server information:

In the Host Name field, enter "imap.mail.yahoo.com".

In the User Name field, enter your full email address.

In the Password field, enter your correct password.

Enter your Outgoing Mail Server information:

In the Host Name field, enter "smtp.mail.yahoo.com".

Click Next.

Confirm Use SSL is set to ON.

Confirm Authentication is set to Password.

Confirm that the Server Port is set to 465.

To complete, select Save.

Do let me know how it goes; thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The device thinks it did load properly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, it did or didn't? Also, did you make sure to use an incorrect password ***** as instructed? Do let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did what you said. It reloaded. But no inbox. Only sent and drafts and junk and trash. No inbox
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Hmm, I see. Allow me just a couple of minutes, please.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

One more question: did you set up the email account manually using IMAP (as directed) this time, or did it set it up automatically for you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It set up automatically. Didn't give me that option. Did I do it wrong?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Yes, it looks like you did not fill in an incorrect password ***** prompted the first; doing this will force it NOT to set up the account automatically, but instead allow you to manually set up the account.

Could you please try carrying out the steps in one of my earlier replies (see above) to delete and add back the account manually, and let me know what happens?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After I did everything and clicked next. It didn't prompt me to do the other stuff. Can we talk instead of texting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Now everything is gone. All of my sent, trash, junk and drafts
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

OK; I assumed you filled in an incorrect password ***** first time, when setting up the account this time? If so, it didn't prompt you to re-enter the account details?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried again! It prompts the password ***** ***** each time after I get to the "next" step. Can we speak on the phone?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I'm based in a different country now, so setting up a phone call might be a hassle for both of us. However no issues, let me open up your question to our other experts now who will be able to assist you further via a phone call.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Also, just one more thing; at the "next" step, do you get a POP/IMAP prompt at the top?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No at the end before the ssl
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Yes; at that screen, you need to type in the correct password ***** time and then set up the account manually using IMAP (as directed.) So basically, we just to enter an incorrect password ***** the first time when setting up the account so to prevent it from automatically setting up the account, and then provide the correct password ***** you are setting it up manually (at the current screen.)

Could you please try this and let me know? If you still face issues, I'll open up your question to our other experts right away. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did that. That's when he never prompted me to confirm the ssl
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Hmm, okay; this is a tricky one. Opening your question for our other experts now; thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankss
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Hi!

A new expert here -- Just a side note: If you prefer a phone call, you can use the additional services request option on your screen for a Live Phone Call to send the request to our expert pool.

Do you have 2-step verification on your Yahoo account? Click here: https://login.yahoo.com/account

Click on Account Security

Under "Two-Step Verification" -- does it say On or Off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It says off
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Do you have multiple email accounts on your devices?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My work email too
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

On your phone or iPad, if you open Mail then Select ALL INBOXES

Do you see your Yahoo emails anywhere in there?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope. They are all gone from my inbox. Both "all inboxes" and yahoo "inboxes"
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Is your work email through Yahoo as well?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

So, your work emails are missing too?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope. I have all of those.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not missing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can see all of my sent, trash, junk, and drafts on yahoo. Just not my inbox
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Do you mean you can see the Sent, trash, junk, and draft emails or you can see the sections designed for Sent, Trash, Junk, and Drafts if you are viewing the options?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can actually see all those emails. Like normal. It's when I go into the "inbox" folder that everything is missing
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

If you sign into Yahoo email on a desktop computer, do you see the emails in your Inbox?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also on the yahoo mail app
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

If you send an email to yourself right now, does it show up in your Inbox on your phone?

Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Try sending the email from your iPhone using the Yahoo and send it to the Yahoo account.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I sent my self an email from my inbox and it showed up on the app and my sent folder, but not in my inbox folder
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Did it ever work properly on your iPhone or iPad?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Lol! Yes. It all worked properly until around 11:00 this morning.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

I am not aware of any glitch/outage with Yahoo at the moment but this is almost certainly some sort of glitch/outage/issue on their end.

Between myself and the previous expert, we have exhausted all of the options available that would fix the issue which leads me to believe it is an issue on their end. I know saying the issue is on Yahoo's end does not fix it for you but there isn't a single troubleshooting route that I can think of that would help the situation at hand. I don't want to waste your time on the issue anymore because there isn't anything that we could do at this point that would make a difference and it would just be wasting your time. I would recommended waiting a couple of days to see if the issue fixes itself and if it does not, we can use a form to report a bug within Yahoo.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You don't think it's an apple issue?
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

No, I do not. I was able to delete and load in my Yahoo account into the native app without any issues.

I think it is a Yahoo based issue that is affecting a small percentage of accounts since I have not heard about it recently.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome. I hope that it is an issue that they are working on and it will be fixed soon for you.

If you would like to rate our session so that I am credited with helping you, please use the star based system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit.