jinsmn
jinsmn, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in different email servers and clients.
50064670

I am running OSX 10.10.5 and MS Office for Mac 2011 version

Customer Question

I am running OSX 10.10.5 and MS Office for Mac 2011 version 14.6.8. I want to know how I can use finder (or even a 3rd party app) to search saved Outlook email messages. Specifically, I want to be able to search the context of the email message and also be able to filter the searches by sender, recipient, subject heading and/or date. As it stands, when I draft messages from Outlook and drop them i a folder on finder, Spotlight does not search the content of the email -- it only searches the actual file name. When I move the email message to a folder within Finder, it shows up with a .eml file extension. I don't mind paying for a 3rd party app if that will have the search features I need. Finally, in case you were wondering, I can't use Outlook to search these messages because I had to move them from Outlook due to limitations on the size of my Outlook database.
Category: Email
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

1. After you drag and drop the Outlook messages into Finder as ELM files, just rename the extension as 0lk14message

2. The file will show as an Entourage file so you can open it as an e-mail file and Spotlight will search inside it

3. A very good tool to change all extensions at once is "A better Finder Rename"

Another option is using Easy Find.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jins. Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, your response is not helpful. As a practical matter, I can't open each message and search within it. I need to be able to search thousands of emails that are in the same folder looking for the message that contain certain text or recipients (which is something you can do in Outlook for emails that are saved/stored in Outlook). Opening each and every message to search inside it is not a practical solution. I want to be able to conduct the search purely within Finder, just as if I was trying to search thousands of PDFs -- I would not need to open each PDF to search them but could instead using Finder/Spotlight.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

To rename the eml file extension with 0lk14message you need not open each files. You can rename all the files using terminal. After renaming the eml file extension to 0lk14message you can search inside those files using finder. Instead of 0lk14message extension you can use txt extension also, but it will remove the email look of the messages and convert it as just text files.

Please check this tutorial to see how to mass rename the files.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jins. Unfortunately, renaming the file extension to 0lk14message does not let me search inside the file using Finder. Rather, I can still only search the actual file name, nothing more. It is only when I change the extension to txt that the file then becomes searchable via Finder. But as you said, this converts the file to a text file and removes the email look. More importantly, it eliminates any possibility of searching by sender/recipient/date fields. Do you have any other suggestions for a workaround?
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

Oops, I forgot to mention it. You need to install Microsoft Entourage to use 0lk14message extension.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do I need to install Microsoft Entourage even if I already have Microsoft Outlook/Office 2011 already installed?
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you do, because the 0lk14message extension is entourage's own message file format .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Any advice on where I can find it? It has been discontinued and so I am not able to find a site where I can download it.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

Yeah, the last version was 2008. I think you can find it from some friends, stores or torrentz sites.