James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I am contacting you for a friend who assumed she was being

Customer Question

I am contacting you for a friend who assumed she was being instructed to change her email. She has great difficulty working with computers, so she came to me for help.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Continued: She has memory issues and cannot remember her email address which she has used for many months. Can she get the confidential information from you? Or, does she have to create a new email address? The problem is she has a home business and cannot access the emails she has been getting this past week.
JA: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Email Technician's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems. How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Can you help?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: She uses a laptop using AT&T internet service.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My friend has given me permission to give you her email address if you need it to solve this problem for her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry to hear about your friend and her problem. It would my pleasure to assist. However, the best chance that we have for recovering her email address is to remotely access her laptop, which would require that she click on a link that I provide, so I could search through her cookies and browser history t o see if I might find it stored there. Once we have recovered the email address, depending upon who the email provider is, and their policies, and what, if any security your friend setup we MAY be able to reset her password. Email privacy is a very serious matter and no confidential information will be given out by any reputable email provider without proof of identity. Typically people either setup an alternate email address or a phone number where they can receive codes to help the m reset their password. If she has done that and she can access the email account or phone number, then she has a chance at recovery.

Question....you mentioned that she has a home business. Does she not have business cards with her email address on them? Also, you initially said that she couldn't remember her email address, but then you said she had given you permission to share it. I'ma little confused. Can you clarify, please?