James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I do the email for a social club called the Silver Foxes. I

Customer Question

Hi I do the email for a social club called the Silver Foxes. I have a large group of members about 300. I am getting messages that some people are not receiving emails. When I check they are on the distribution list. Just wondering if you have suggestions
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: gmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: I access my email through my computer Safari from a Macbook Air
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I re-entered the names and email addresses and asked them to check spam. It is random as to who is left out.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I will do my best to help you resolve the issue. My first instinct would be to do as you did, and ask them to check their spam folder. It sounds simple but you would be surprised how many people don't know how to do that. Most email programs allow you to mark a message as NOT SPAM once you've found it so future messages won't go to spam and that would be a good next step if indeed the message did go to spam.

May I ask how you are sending the messages? Do you have your own domain name and email server, or are you using gmail or yahoo or microsoft servers, or something else? Many email servers limit the number of messages that can be sent from an account per day. We might need to check that as well.

I would suggest that we begin with a simple test. For those members who report that they did not receive the email, try to send them an individual email from the same account that you use for the distribution list. If it goes through, then the problem is likely with the email server.

It would be a good idea to send it with a delivery notification requested, if your email program allows that. The rejection notice can provide important clues about the cause of the problem. If it indicates that delivery was successful, then you know that either it has to be in their SPAM folder.

Try to note whether there are any similarities in the messages that aren't delivered. For instance, are most of them from the same 2 or 3 domain names, or are most of them last in the distribution list (although that shouldn't matter). If you see any similarities at all, please let me know

Try these suggestions and let me know the results so I will know what we need to do next. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already done what you suggested.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was not aware how this worked. I have not received an adequate answer. Please stop and do not charge me.
Bobbie Fraser***@******.***
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

I made several different suggestions. In order to best help you, I need to know what happened when you tried each of these suggestions. When you sent single emails to someone reporting that they did not get an email, did it go through? When you sent with delivery notification requested what was the result? I can only help you if you are willing to communicate. You haven't even told me how you are sending the emails, whether you have your own domain or are using gmail, yahoo, or something similar.

As an independent contractor I don't have access to billing information but you can contact Customer Service via email at***@******.*** or you can view options for contacting them by chat or phone at ww2.justanswer.com/help.

One final recommendation...when sending email to a list of this size, it is wise to consider using a program like Constant Contact or Mail Chimp.

Have a nice evening!

Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I would be delighted to assist you.

That having been said, one does not receive something for nothing. Surely, a Silver Fox knows this!

Are you sure you have gone through all those detailed steps that the last expert offered to you? If so, please explain in detail what you tried, what succeeded, what did not, and why you believe that it did/did not.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.