Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

How do I retrieve my compacted emails, mozilla thunderbird,

Customer Question

How do I retrieve my compacted emails
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: mozilla thunderbird
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: lap top
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i need help in recovering my compacted emails. can't find any help
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry you are having trouble. I will help you now.

Can you tell me more details about what emails are missing, and what action was taken just before you lose them. Which folders, etc. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am having trouble accessing my compacted emails
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am having trouble accessing my compacted emails. Nothing more to add

OK, well since compacting generally permanently removes deleted or moved mail, more details as far as backups and so on would be very important. Since I am out of ideas, I will opt out to other experts who may be able to further assist. Thank You.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am only looking for inbox emails that were compacted. Not the deleted trash
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i will be taking over for your other expert.

Many experts do not like to give bad news, nor do i. What you are facing is kind of a deletion.

Once thunderbird compacts them, this is what happened:

You cannot undo compacting, there is no such thing as "uncompacting". Compacting physically removes messages marked for deletion and hidden from view. Once they're gone, they're gone. Usually when somebody asks how to "uncompact" a folder they lost messages due to compacting. Sometimes the messages were already gone, but that wasn't noticeable because they were still listed in the folder listing. Other times compacting a folder physically removed messages it shouldn't have because the folder was too corrupt.

This guide is going to explain to you exactly what happened, and also how to change your settings so this

doesnt happen to you again if you choose to move forward and reset the compacting settings.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders

This guide will show you how to go through your deleted emails as well (i know this isnt your issue)

and will show you that if it wasnt deleted and it was compacted, they are not there anymore.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-recover-deleted-emails-in-thunderbird/

Sometimes a resolution is not what we want the outcome to be, but i did not want you to have to

wait for an answer due to it being bad news. I also wanted to avoid you researching to find an answer

that is going to end up in there is not a fix for this after the fact. I have left you guides on how to change the compact

settings and troubleshooting for it as well.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Please rate the 5 stars at the top of the page to close out this question as it is the only way i am

credited for the work done with clients. Or, reply to continue if further troubleshooting is necessary.

~Franklin