Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have discovered that someone is using my name and created

Customer Question

i have discovered that someone is using my name and created a yahoo email account to apply for credit cards, etc in my name using my home phone number and social security #. They hacked my identity and yesterday the police uncovered this email address on a fraudulent credit card app. how can i delete the account they are using in my name permanently since i don't have a password ***** for this account
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

This wont be an easy or straightforward process unfortunately.. Also, you may want to confer with law enforcement because they may want or need access or to subpoena the IP records for that email account with yahoo before you try to have it shut down.

But what you would do to report the account to yahoo would be to email yahoo here *****@******.***

Explain to them briefly, the situation and tell them you are reporting that account for fraud and abuse against your name and identity.

It may take some back and forth between you and the yahoo team before you will be able to get the account closed. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dustin thank you but the email abuse foryahoo says they will not answer emails for abuse assistance since they get countless requests.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Isn't there a way to get the IP address for this yahoo account and shut it down?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

There is a way.. Through law enforcement and a court order.. Otherwise, yahoo isnt going to give anyone any information..

Here is a contact form for yahoo, you definitely need to start by getting in touch with someone at yahoo support directly and explaining the issue. Definitely explain that material loss, fraud and law enforcement are involved.

https://io.help.yahoo.com/contact/index?page=contactform&locale=en_US&token=Zh%2FBBVqXzLHlIbokbUqVWTUbuuQeXGkGnZzhKR2JQ4O6mMQdy9JSWfJCJWvc4C3%2F4ml2UKrHQ0nko7rLtSR524MJxCBJKi0QupzNgfCBznvn27xUEp0LLP5v6N84OyIWfjF0v%2BzoPso6e%2F64KJ%2FpFyU2mT99MquR&selectedChannel=email-icon&yid=

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no way to permanently close this yahoo account they are using without their password ***** security answers they have set up? The police don't have as much knowledge as one would assume in cyber issues... it has been quite a long road to this point. I'm really wanting to shut it down
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

I dont work for yahoo.. With that being said, it isnt just Yahoo that turns a blind uncaring eye towards their email users.

Google, hotmail, all the major and free email services do not waste any of their time or resources providing any type of real live help. Neither does facebook, or any other major free online service I know of. You would think that billion dollar companies could afford to provide some sort of live support.

But they do not. Honestly, it will be an uphill battle with your ankles tied together to get yahoo to help you in this situation. Without some sort of court order or injunction.

Dustin S.