James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I can't access my email account, I'm 70 years old - I assume

Customer Question

I can't access my email account
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: I'm 70 years old - I assume Google is my service provider
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, I apparently made a terrible mistake - no when I doubleclick on my Google icon, I am taken to a Norton Symantic search option - not to my Chrome Google page from which I could easily get my email
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't know how many years I have had my Gmail account - I don't remember my password ***** I have a new phone number so I can't figure out how to get my email can't sign in!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. When was the last time that you were able to access your email account?

Can you please tell me the problem Gmail account (email address) so that I can check its status and recovery options?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jess! First thing you should know - I am a 70 year old techno-idiot, so please keep it simple! I was able to access my Gmail account yesterday - by clicking on Gmail. Now I am being asked to sign in. I don't remember my password ***** when I try to recover it, apparently I used an old phone number which I also don't remember - could have been several years ago.My Gmail account is:***@******.***
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

If you did not sign out of your Gmail, and if you used another web browser to access your Gmail, then you can access your Gmail without having to enter the password ***** you just use the correct browser -- the one you used before.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly assist you in recovering your Gmail account while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
am on Social Security - I can't possibly afford a $39 fee!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

I will send you the formal offer for the smallest fee so that we can just proceed with the remote session. Please accept it so that we can initiate the remote session.