James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

I can't find anyway to remove the search history in my

Customer Question

I can't find anyway to remove the search history in my Hotmail account and the Microsoft help people seem to be of no use
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Hotmail account?
Customer: last couple of days - I didn't think much of it but I logged into someone else's computer and noticed it comes up there too
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Mainly googling lol
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to make sure it doesn't clear anything else - it doesn't come up on my phone when I search via my outlook ap. Only when I login online - I mainly use Internet Explorer & Chrome
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

You can open your browser and press ctrl+H key and then press clear browsing history button to delete history.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I got charged $66 to do that but cancelled because my phone number doesn't fit into the spaces available. Also it's the search history in Hotmail only I want cleared - not google etc as per my question

I will help you to refund your amount, Not an Issue. I do not have any information about the charges,I will contact customer service to sort it out.

check all of your contacts. To open a page with your contacts, you can click on below link:-.

Re-check that the Only suggest people in my contact list is selected (Options > Advanced privacy settings). By default, Hotmail provides suggestions for any e-mail address you received e-mail from or send e-mail to.

Make sure that all e-mails containing e-mail address(es) you want to remove are deleted. Check all e-mail folders including the "Deleted" folder as well.

Sign out of your Hotmail account and sign back in.

When you click on the "New" button to create a new e-mail, old e-mail addresses shouldn't automatically show. If those e-mail addresses still appear when using the search box, then there is no way at the moment to manually delete them or change the search results. It is because Hotmail uses search index that was automatically generated based on your e-mail history. If you delete all record of an e-mail address from your account, the search index should remove it as well after some time. If not, then this is limitation of Hotmail web interface and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks Bhavik - disappointing I've got it confirmed basically there is no way to clear it but you've given me a well rounded response thanks. As for the other charge please do contact the team - I've got a$44 charge for this conversation and $66 also but it was to securely connect which I cannot do. Thanks anyway

Yes, Currently there is not way do disable auto complete feature in it but we can remove unwanted emails to stop them from showing up.

Sure, I will raise request on your behalf to refund all they have changed you. But before doing that just one question,

Would you like to pay me any tip for my time on it ? It can be any amount as per your wish?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yeah absolutely say $10NZ ok?

Yes Sure, It is purely on your wish.

Thank you !!

I am raising a request now. Thank you for choosing us !!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No worries thanks too :)
Expert:  russell-cssm replied 8 days ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. ( Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 8 days ago.

Actually, there is always a way to delete the history if you're willing to go searching among individual disk files.

Also, bear in mind that auto-complete is not a function of your e-mail, but of your browser.