Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have an RCA TV/DVD combination. Instructions for loading a

Customer Question

I have an RCA TV/DVD combination. Instructions for loading a DVD state that mirror side of disc must face you and a few lines later it states that labell side must face yoiu. (Page 21 p;g instruction manual) Since wrong insertion can damage the DVD mechanism, whih is correct
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: gmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: did you receive email re loading a DVD
Category: Email
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Can you give me the model number of the tv?
Did you insert a disc and found that it won't play?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model number is ***** Can't insert disc until you tell me which part of instruction manual is correct - mirror side facing or label side facing when inserting DVD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should be no need for remote connection since my question is a relatively simple one, caused by confusion in you instruction booiklet.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

That is an automated ad, you may ignore it. Please give me a few moments to respond.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

The manual is conflicting, which is common for the low quality brands like RCA which are known for having very poor support.

The label should be facing you (shiny side toward the back of the tv).

It appears the other way in photos because it looks better to have the shiny side out.

Whichever side of the tv on either side of that slot is thicker is where the player mechanism is and that is the side that the shiny part should face.

If by chance you do put it in incorrectly though it should not harm anything, it just won't play. You'd just eject the disc and flip it over.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fine - but instgruction bnooklet clearly states"you may damage the DVD mechnism"
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I understand, but they also have conflicting information. The service documentation I have on this model doesn't even specify it, only a few different conflicting diagrams even.

If you prefer you can start out with it facing you, they are saying that to avoid liability for anything, but it can't cause any damage, it will either spit it back out or just not play it.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Keep in mind too that there are double sided discs on the market and having those inserted one way or the other also won't cause any harm, it would just play the wrong side, so having the label side in the wrong way isn't going to damage anything either, it just can't be read. Give it a try starting in this position, and let me know the results. If it doesn't work (you may have to hold eject for a few seconds) then flip and try the other side.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please note that I never authorized any charges and do not expect that I have incurred any. Iwill contact by sbaill mail or go to an RCA dealer here
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

This is a paid support site, you would have agreed to the deposit to post your question as well as to the total charge at several points along the way and when entering your payment info.

RCA does not support their products, hence the need for 3rd party support sites such as this.

I did provide you with instructions to follow earlier but did not hear back from you. If you need more help, under the fee you've already agreed to and paid, please reply back here with the results.