IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Verizon.net email not working on cell phone, yahoo, phone,

Customer Question

verizon.net email not working on cell phone
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: yahoo
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: phone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: everything but the kitchen sink
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i ve tried delete cache nothing works spoke to verizon& nothing gets resolved
Category: Email
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Since the e-mail is not working on your phone, please tell me if you have a computer you can use just to check if you can access your e-mail account there?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no problem there
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

That's good. It means your e-mail account is fine, but the e-mail settings on your phone probably need to be corrected. Do you see any error message when checking for new e-mails or when trying to send an e-mail using your phone?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cannot use user name or password
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. Please tell me the make and model of your phone. Also, do you know when the e-mail problem first started to occur?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
galaxy samsung 6 edge started on sept 24
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the information!

Do you use a default e-mail app that came with your phone, called "Email" that looks like a white envelope and has a red @ symbol, or you use another e-mail app?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have tried putting all my info in there still not working
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. I suggest removing the existing e-mail account and then setting it up again. I can guide you on how to do that.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Just a moment to write the initial instructions...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i guess this is not a portal issue with yahoo
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Let's first remove the existing e-mail account.

To do that, please go to Settings and then scroll down to Accounts. Tap on Email and then tap on MORE. Select Remove account and confirm.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Don't worry - you are at the right place. I can assist you with the e-mail issue you are experiencing. Just follow my instructions.

Let me know if you could remove the account.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok it was verizon fios account
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Was your Verizon e-mail account listed under E-mail accounts and were you able to remove it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no email account there
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. Let's re-add the e-mail account. Do the following:

1. In the Settings menu, tap on Accounts

2. Tap on Add account located at the bottom

3. Tap on Email

4. Now type your e-mail address and the password, and tap NEXT. The phone should automatically look for the correct e-mail settings. Just make sure to type the correct password

5. When done, you should be see the Accounts menu again. To verify if the account has been added, tap on Email. You should see your e-mail account listed there

If you see your e-mail account listed there, go back to the home screen and tap on the app called Email. If you don't see it, tap on Apps to see all the apps and then look for Email there.

Let me know if you can see your e-mails.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
does not work incorrect username/password ***** been entered or pop3/imapaccess not turned on
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

You can verify your password ***** signing into the Verizon web mail interface. Please use your computer and visit this web page:

https://webmail.verizon.com

Check if you can sign into your e-mail account using the same password ***** type in your phone.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it works on computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. Please open a web browser on your phone and go to the same web page. See if you can sign in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still nothing on cell phone takes me to yahoo mail
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK, let's try with the manual setup instead. I will provide the instructions now. In the meantime, you can go to the Accounts section on your phone and remove the e-mail account in case it is there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok well ive tried that also with verizon on various settings , i guess we will try that
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Instructions for manual config:

1. Go to the Accounts section and tap on Add account

2. Tap on Email

3. Type your e-mail address and password. You can check the "Show password" box to see the typed password. Make sure you type the correct now

4. Tap on Manual setup

5. Tap on POP3

6. Use the following settings for incoming mail server (receiving e-mails):

Email address: your e-mail address

Username: full e-mail address

POP3 server: pop.verizon.net

Security type: SSL

Port: 995

7. Tap Next and see what happens. It should display you a confirmation or an error message.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nothing
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Did you get an error message?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
same as before wrong user name/password ***** settings wrong
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. Have you tried using any other e-mail app, except this that came with the phone?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nope
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Let's try with the Yahoo! Mail for Android app. Please go to the home screen and tap on Play Store. Use the search at the top and type: Yahoo and then tap on the first search result that should appear - yahoo mail.

Tap on the first app that says Yahoo Mail - Stay Organized!

Install it and open it. Tap on Sign in and type your e-mail account and password.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still nothing i have tried that already
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

That's quite strange. What you can try next is to go with the manual config again, and instead of typing the full e-mail address in the Username box, type only the first part of the e-mail address that comes before the @ symbol. For example, if your e-mail address was:***@******.***, you would need to type john123 in the Username box.

Use the same settings for other boxes and tap Next. See if that makes any difference.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will try that again also, but i tried that a couple of days ago, did not work
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no luck
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hmm. My next suggestion is to access the Verizon web mail interface on your computer and change (reset) the password. After that, wait for about 2-3 minutes and then check if your phone will accept the new password.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
says old password *****
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Please use the reset method where you don't need to type the current password, but answer a few questions about your account. Access the password ***** by going to this link:

https://signin.verizon.com/sso/mForgotFlows/mpassword/verifyIdentity.jsp

Or, a shorter version of that link is:

http://tinyurl.com/VerizonWebmailReset

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it took it on the computer, but not the cell phone
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Now when you have reset the password, please go with all the previous methods of setting up an e-mail account:

1. Use the standard (automatic) configuration when tapping on Add account

2. Use the manual config with both your full e-mail address typed into the Username box and with only the short Verizon username

3. Use a Yahoo! Mail app

Just make sure to type the new password. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still nothing
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

I am starting to think that something is wrong with your phone. May I know if your phone can accept any other e-mail account, for example your Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft (Hotmail), etc?

If you haven't tried to set up another account, please try it now. Use the standard method where you only need to type the e-mail address and password.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have no problem with old email going through email app yahooo
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

I am starting to run out of ideas. It really doesn't make any sense why the phone won't accept the settings and the password ***** your Verizon e-mail account. I think I suggested you everything that can be done. Really strange.

To confirm, you have already contacted the Verizon support about this problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do u think someone hacked the account, they said it was a portal problem that i have to seperate the association with yahho/verizon and remove portal othrough verizon
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

I am not sure what happened, but if someone hacked the account, I don't think you would be able to easily access it on your computer. So, I think the account itself is fine. I just don't know if your phone doesn't accept only your Verizon account or any Verizon account.

You could test that if you find someone who is using Verizon as well, so you could test if their account would be accepted.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

As a workaround, you could access the Verizon e-mail account on your computer and set e-mail forwarding to another e-mail address that your phone accepts. That way, any e-mail sent to your Verizon e-mail address would be accessible on another e-mail address, for example your Google, Yahoo! or Microsoft account.

What do you think about that?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do you do that
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

See the instructions described here:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/email/email+tools/questionsone/85734.htm

Shorter version of that link:

http://tinyurl.com/VerizonEmailForward

Use any other e-mail address that your phone can accept.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello again!

Several days have passed since I suggested forwarding e-mails to another e-mail address you can access on your phone, and you haven't replied, so I am wondering if you were able to set up e-mail forwarding and if it is working correctly?

Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could not do that either,spent hours with a verizon support team & nothing
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

It shouldn't be that hard. If you wish, I can remotely access your computer and help you set up e-mail forwarding. If it works, you can then set up the e-mail account on your phone.

Let me know if you would like that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Went through that with verizon,nothing works
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

I cannot know what the Verizon representative tried, but I can offer my assistance on that subject. If you would like to try it, let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Went to my profile, clicked email forwarded to another email clicked saved,nothing
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

I can offer my assistance using a secure remote connection, or, if you want, you can give me your Verizon e-mail address and password ***** that I can test the e-mail forwarding on my computer.

I don't see how else I can help.