Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs

I received an e-mail request from 'The Microsoft Team'

Customer Question

I received an e-mail request from 'The Microsoft Team' advising the my Outlook settings were out-of-date and my PIN and Password ***** required to fix the problem. Is this a valid request or have I just accommodated a fraud?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 16 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never email you like this.

This is what is known as "email phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do perform any instructions they give you. It will normally result in you losing access to your accounts and having fake emails sent in your name.

Basically what they will do is email a lot of people and say that you have problems. Any actual problems you have will be entirely coincidental.

Next they get you to click a link and enter your details into a fake site, then they have your sign in details. This is when you lose access to your account and computer (if you have a later version of windows)

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever email you like this.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you