James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

From yesterday. I went to turn on my computer from yesterday

Customer Question

Martin, this is Betty Lockhart from yesterday. I went to turn on my computer from yesterday and got a message from saying my computer was detected to have the Zeus virus created by recent downloads, and not to restart the computer. Told me to call technical support, 1(###) ###-#### and report code B2957E to the Agent to Fix This. Don't know if this is legitimate or not, or what to do, since the downloads were done by your side. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

Hi Betty, it sounds like a bogus message - all I downloaded on your computer was the drivers for your printer from the official website, I doubt they would have put a virus in their software, perhaps it was downloaded after?

Either way, I can have a look for you if you like.

Here's a new remote session link:

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I would like you to take a look. How can you do that if I am not on the computer? Should I take a chance and get on, or can you bypass that step to take a look? What your knowledge is is so far above mine, as you could see yesterday.
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

You will need to open the link on the computer, if you're not on it now you will need to navigate to this URL first:

When it asks you for a code, enter this: SCGK

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am currently on my LG tablet. Do I get on the URL from this, or get on the computer. If I get on the computer, how will I know if the hard drive has been compromised?
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

You need to get on it from the computer as I am connecting to the computer

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am unable to leave the page that came up on the computer. Says hard drive will be deleted in 5 minutes, but I am locked on to this page. Also, I shut down the computer yesterday right after we hung up.
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

You must have accidentally opened something else, close any open windows and open a new browser then go to the URL I gave you so you can type in the code

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
There is nothing else open and other than being able to click5on this message, nothing else works, so I can't open a new browser to type in a new Url
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

I'm not sure what happened after I disconnected - the software I loaded on your computer was from so I don't think the virus came from there.

For me to help you with this you will have to get a browser window open

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Since my last email, I did two complete shutdowns and restarts. After the second one, it came up correctly, so it looks ok. I'm not sure now if it's ok, but it looks like it. Are you doing something on the computer?An error report just finished running, saying the installation was not successful
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

Nope cannot do anything from my end unless you open the remote link