Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  All type of email clients, microsoft, web based, linux

I switched from Enterouge to Outlook In Enterouge when i

Customer Question

I switched from Enterouge to Outlook In Enterouge when i started to type in an email address it would automatically complete the address or offer all with the same names. Outlook does not do this, how do I turn on auto complete in Outlook 2011
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 22 days ago.

Hello. I would be delighted to assist you. Are you still in need of help?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.

I will provide explicit directions. Please let me know if you have any difficulty performing the following steps (my notation may be uncomfortably brief):

File->Options (that means File menu, choose the Options selection)

Mail tab

Scroll down to Send messages section

Look for a checkbox that says "Use auto-complete list to suggest names when typing . . ."

Check this checkbox

Apply and save changes.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Under the File menu option is not a selection
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The choices are: New, open, close, save, folder, export, import ,page set-up and print
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Bruce, you still there?
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 22 days ago.

okay, so outlook will remember the email address and auto-populate the recipient field, ONCE the outlook has done an INDEX.

Furthermore, you can use the button combination Control + "K". (Press and hold the Ctrl key, and then press the letter "K" on the keyboard)

So, when you are typing in the recipient Email address, and you have the first 2 or 3 letters typed in, THEN you do the Ctrl + K button combination, and this will check the names of addresses stored, and show you the one that matches.

Outlook will not auto-populate until you have SENT an email to that recipient.

So until you send an email, you have to use the Ctrl + K to get the Email addresses in your contacts list to auto poulate.

Thats how outlook works.

If it appears to NOT be doing something it should....then do an INDEX, and that should help.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Is that an $18. answwer?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Is that an $18. answer?

i didnt set the price.......i cant change it.

But, I want to answer the question to YORU satisfaction......wherever that lands.

Is there more to the story about the autopoulate Email address's......not really.....i mean there is some back-end processes.

That arent changable through "normal" means. It takes hacking the software code to a HIGLY protected piece of software.

If Outlook is not autopoulating your recipient Email address fields within the first 2 characters being entered.....then you may be looking at a corrupt contacts database, or incorrectly created in the begining.

Contacts are stored in databases.

The databses have character fields, each with its own label. So for example the NAME, and EMAIL ADDRESS, and PHONE NUMBER are all fields in the database.

and say you put an email address in the phoe number section when creating the contact.......when the autopoulat does a looks in the email address field....not the phone number field.

So.....thas HOW a contact database CAN be......well....messed up. But there are plenty of other ways.

I also understand you were using Entourage before Outlook (or you still ARE using it?)

How did you export your contacts from Entourage , and then how did you Import to Outlook?

Because the Auto-popuate feature of outlook depends on your contacts, and also RECENTLY tasked entered Email Address's, they dont have to be in your contacts to auto populate, you just have had to sent an email to them.......basically you have had to type it in on your keyboard at some point, and then done a task with it, while within outlook.