James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

I just opened an email purporting to be from APPLE ID

Customer Question

I just opened an email purporting to be from APPLE ID claiming that a charge was made on a device not connected to me and asking me if I made that charge. I did not--and when I went to the next screen I was given instructions to type in my credit card info. I am not comfortable doing this and the 800 number for APPLE is now closed for the business hours. This is***@******.***
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 25 days ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, an email expert who's been paired with you through I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

You were right to be concerned! Apple would not ask you for your credit card information in this manner. I believe that the email you received was the lead-in to a "phishing" scam; that is, a scam designed to part you with personal information or money.

If you did not submit your credit card information, you are safe and nothing more needs to be done in regard to this particular matter.

Did you have any other questions about this that I could answer for you?