Bruce Wilner
Bruce Wilner,
Experience:  principal at Network Security Labortories Inc.

Someone broke into my gmail account and sent an unauthorized

Customer Question

Someone broke into my gmail account and sent an unauthorized email to my bank, who called me and ignored it. I immediately changed my password, and since then, do not receive any emails. What can I do to activate my account.***@******.***Please contact me at, where I receive emails.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Pete replied 27 days ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 27 days ago.

You will need to update the stored password ***** your gmail account on Mac Mail.

To do this,

1. Launch Mail on your Mac.

2. Click “Mail” from the Mail menu and click “Preferences.”

3. Click the “Accounts” tab. A list of your email accounts will appear in the left pane of the Accounts preferences window.

4. Select the name of the email account.

5. Click the “Passwords” text field to select the old password, press “Delete” and type in your new password.

6. Click the red "Close" button at the top of the preferences window to close it.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hello, Pete,
I follow your instructions but when I get to the "Accounts" tab and select the email, there is no "password" text field, the text fields include Description, Alias, Email Address, Full Name, Incoming Mail Server, User Name, Outgoing Mail Server, and TLS Certificate.
Nothing else.
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

What version of OS X are you using?

To change password ***** El Capitan Mail 9.2, you could do it by in a different way:

Go to Mail/ Preferences / Accounts / Account Information / Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) / Edit SMTP Server List / (chose account you want to update), at the bottom of the window you should see

User Name: ...

Password: ...

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am using OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
Following your latest instructions, I go to "Edit SMTP Server List" which opens an "Account Information" tab that has three lines, "Description", "Server Name" and TLS Certificate", no User Name or Password. If I click on the "Advanced" tab, there is a "Port" item, with the figure 587, a checked "Use SSL" item, and an "Authentification" line, which was on "None" but which has 5 other choices:
External (TLS Client Certificate)
Kerberos Version 5 (GSSAPI)
MD5 Challenge-Response
And below, a box to "Allow insecure authentification", which was blankI chose Password, and sure enough, User Name and Password ***** with the email address appearing in User Name, and what I presume to be the old password ***** Password. I filled in the new password, closed the pages and tested "Get Mail" with no result. I then went back and clicked on "Allow insecure authentification" but still with no result.Pete, I am travelling and will be leaving my house and computer at 5pm Portuguese time (same as UK, 5 hours later than EST). I don't know what is your time, but if you can answer before then, please do, if not, I will be able to test your suggestions only Monday evening my time. You can also call me today at 011-351-91-341-2426 before 5pm my time if that is convenient. regards,
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
By the way, I am able to send messages on my email address***@******.***, just not receive them.
Curiously, another email address I use frequently,***@******.*** is also acting up, in the opposite manner, I receive emails but can't send them. Do you think these two phenomena related?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Could it be that my mailbox is full? But I am getting messages through "Mail" at my other email addresses. How do I measure how full my mailbox is?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hello, Pete,
Are you there? It says you're online.
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

Hi Patrick, can you let me know what version of Mail you are using?

Does it look like the following:

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello, Pete,
Version Mail 9.3 (3124)
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 22 days ago.

Hello, sir. I am delighted to try to assist you with this inconvenient situation.

Are you still in need of assistance? I couldn't help but notice that, after my colleague, Pete, posted a screen capture and asked about it, almost three days elapsed before you answered. (I guess those poor electrons get awfully tired walking all the way from Europe to North America along the ocean floor, being relentlessly assaulted by crabs and sea stars and stepping on venomous stonefish.)

Please let me know as promptly as possible. Thank you again for your patience and forbearance.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello, Bruce,I told Pete I would be traveling from last Friday to yesterday late Portugal time. I am now back at my computer and still not getting emails on my principal address***@******.***, so very much in need of help. Do you have access to my exchanges with Pete, do you need any additional information?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello Pete,
Are you still involved? In answer to your last question of what my "Mail" looked like:
No, it doesn't look like the page you sent me. When I go to "Edit SMTP Server List" in the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" line, I get a box with the list of accounts above, and when I click on the line with the problematic email address, it shows in "Account Information" three lines:
Description: with the relevant email address
Server Name:
TLS Certificate: None
When I click on "Advanced", there is the first line in gray with a check in the box "Automatically detect and maintain account settings",
Next line "Port" 587, then a check in the box Use SSL
Next line "Authentication: with the choices
None, with only the box below Allow insecure authentification (which remains visible for all the choices)
If I select any of the other choices (other than None) in "Authentification", then in the lines below appear "User Name" with the email address and "Password" which I fill in with the new password. The choices in "Authentification include
External (TLS client Certificate)
Kerberos Version 5 (GSSAPI)
MD5 Challenge-Response
PasswordI have tried all 5 choices, filling in the latest password, but none seems to work. Which one should I use? Should I check "Allow insecure authentification"? Should I maintain the check on "Use SSL"?
HELP, I'm still not getting my emails (I keep checking it by sending myself test emails, which don't come through).