Bruce Wilner
Bruce Wilner,
Experience:  principal at Network Security Labortories Inc.

I can't send group emails anymore on outlook. The groups are

Customer Question

I can't send group emails anymore on outlook. The groups are not large. Help
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Barun replied 30 days ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

This is an acknowledged bug with Outlook; as a workaround to resolve this issue, while sending an email to a group, please click on the + sign next to the group name on the "to" line of your email. It shows all the contacts in your group and then the email can be sent.

Please keep me posted on the results; I'll be here. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 30 days ago.

PS: Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer if it shows up on this page at any time; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; please update me on the results using the Reply box below.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I tried your suggestion. It sent the email to the first person on the list but not to the other people.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I just tried again and it did seem to send to the other members of the list? I will keep trying? If it doesn't work, can you help me further for the amount I paid?
Expert:  Barun replied 30 days ago.

Please accept my apologies for the brief delay. Could you please try this one more time, and let me know if it does send the email together to all of the members of the group?

Do keep me posted.

Expert:  Barun replied 30 days ago.

If you have any further issues with sending group emails, please let me know on this page and I'll be happy to set up a free remote session and troubleshoot this with you further. Otherwise if your issue is resolved now, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) one of the five stars at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll be credited for assisting you today. Thank you :)

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
It sends the mail to some of the people on the list but not all. What now?
Expert:  Barun replied 30 days ago.

Hmm, I see. Let me open up your question to our other experts now, who might be able to provide further input on this issue. Please do not rate until your issue has been fully resolved; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up. Thank you.

Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 30 days ago.

Hi. I would be delighted to try to assist you with this matter.

What PRECISE error message are you getting when you try to send messages to one or more groups?

Is the message posted immediately when you compose the e-mail; or when you try to send it; or do you get some blowback afterward, like e-mailed indications of "returned undeliverable" ?

Thank you for your clarification so that we can get to the bottom of this as quickly and painlessly as possible!

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Error: The message can't be sent right now. Please try again laterWhen I tried Barun's method, it would send but only to some of the listed recipients.

That's one of the most generic error messages you can get, and it's very frustrating. That is one of MANY reasons NOT to use Outlook, but, well, if you're committed to it, that's that.

Have you first made sure that your connection is O.K.? Is your browser working properly? Have you made any changes AT ALL to the Outlook mail settings?

Have you made any changes--EVEN THE LEAST--to any of the groups, or to any of the individuals that are in the groups? The least error in ONE recipient's address, like a missing dot, can invalidate the whole group. Then, you have to go piecemeal to find out where it is.

My mother once had a group with 100+ people, and "something was wrong." We had to divide it into two groups of fifty, and we found that the second group was the culprit. We then divided THAT group into two groups of 24, and found that the FIRST subgroup was at fault. Etc., etc., until we had few enough addresses that we could eyeball them and say, "Oh, looky that, we forgot the '@' symbol."

I don't mean to give you oodles of work to do, but have you tried this?

Be patient. Thank you so much for your cooperation and forbearance. I may have you export your address book and attach it to the Messages stream here to make it easier to analyze. Don't fret: we'll get to the bottom of it.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you. I will check those things but I don't think thats it. Both my lists were working fine. Ive never seen this message before and Ive been emailing for a long time. Something changed about Outlook and then this started happening. I am not committed to Outlook if there is a better program. It is just what I have had for so long. Can you make a recommendation for me. My MAC is an OS10.6 and the Mac mail program didn't work when I tried to use it years ago; I was told that it was because my email was an email. Maybe that has changed? What do you recommend?

Hi again.

Many vendors will try to convince you to stick with a given product just because you have an e-mail address at their domain. You don't HAVE to use Google just because you have a address; you don't HAVE to use MSN just because you have an address of theirs.

I'm not so much an expert on MAC at the user level; I'm a system-level guy who works in the UNIX (= Darwin) kernel, but the applications aren't my bag. However, I think you would be happier with a robust product like Thunderbird. Outlook is a bear to administer and, as you can see, its error messages are frustratingly vague. I mean, why couldn't it just tell you something like, "Malformed address in group," "Problem with Internet connection," or some such?

By the way, there are also FREE sites on the Internet that let you get your mail from anywhere. One of my favorites is you can log in to anywhere, from anywhere, and it's easy to use ("Read next message," "Delete message," "compose new message," etc.): you can't go wrong!