Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years

I'm not able to access my yahoo and gmail old accounts via

Customer Question

Hello i'm not able to access my yahoo and gmail old accounts via outlook. I enter correct passwords but i getting an error
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: Two days now
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: It's been a very long time since i'm using different emails now
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None it is asking for questions like when i created the email but i can't remember
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i can't even access on web because of that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. You mentioned these are old accounts, emails with Yahoo and Gmail. Can you please tell me approximately when was the last time you were able to access these emails? Also, can you tell me the email accounts so that I can check their status and recovery options for you?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, the last time i was able to access the accounts was last year. It is***@******.*** and***@******.***
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Approximately how many months? I am asking this because Yahoo and Gmail have their own policy for inactive or dormant accounts. They normally deactivate dormant accounts NOT accessed within 3 to 6 months. If you have not accessed the accounts that long already, there there are 2 possibilities here.

First, the accounts were in frozen state since they have been deactivated. They cannot be accessed and cannot be re-created.

Second, the accounts could have been hacked thus they were not deactivated, thus your old password ***** rejected.

Have you tried to send an email to these 2 accounts to test if you get a failure delivery notification indicating the accounts are no longer active?

Please give me a moment to test the accounts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. It's more than 6 months actually, around 9 to 12 months. No I did not think of sending some test mails
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried to reset the gmail account? It is asking for the last password ***** used and this security question:

Quel est votre numéro d'adhérent au programme de fidélité de votre compagnie aérienne ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i saw that.. But there is no way i can remember that. The other question is when i created the account. Who remembers these things?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

I tried to reset your Yahoo. Here is the security question:

Quel est le prénom de votre oncle préféré ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have so many now. I don't remember which one I picked that time. I can't remember these very old questions
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for writing back. Unfortunately, since you did not access these 2 account for a long time already, I believe they are in frozen state now after being deactivated. If they were hacked before the automatic deactivation process was triggered, then they can still be active today since the hacker accessed them so they will appear active to the Google and Yahoo systems.

In case your accounts were hacked, unfortunately, there is really no way that you can recover the account without undergoing the reset procedures which require you to enter the information that the dynamic questionnaire asks. This is the only way that Yahoo and Gmail verify your ownership of the account.

Also, the verification process is automated -- with no human intervention. Yahoo and Google needs to do this since there are several millions of people using their system and asking for access or password ***** concerns. Since their service is offered for free, it is up to the user to secure their account by providing up-to-date recovery information like answers to security questions, and other contact information, which I believe are absent in the account you are trying to recover.

So to move forward, the only way to recover the account is to undergo the reset process. Please try to remember those forgotten information that Yahoo and Google are asking. You can try to do the reset process over and over until you can provide the exact match of the information on your account.

Now, if the account was not hacked but of frozen state due to dormancy, there is no way to recover the accounts since they are awaiting final deletion from the Yahoo and Gmail servers. They cannot be re-created as well after they are deleted by Yahoo and Google/Gmail.

Another thing, due to dormancy (9 to 12 months), if ever you are able to recover the account through the reset process, all of your emails and other stuffs will be gone already, you only get back the account in blank state.

I believe this is not the kind of answer you wish to hear and this is bad news and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But it will be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I will not give you the real score of the matter and thus give you false hopes.

At this point, you have placed and deposit and I only get credit for my time and help when you rate positive (3 to 5 stars/faces). It is completely up to you if you want to credit me for my time and help in your question by your rating. But please do not rate me negatively if you do not want to pay. You can leave my service unrated and you can request for a refund.

Here is the link about refunding:

I hope at least I have saved you some time.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for your time. And yes you saved mine.