James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

Many contacts have been reporting today that they are

Customer Question

Many contacts have been reporting today that they are getting "friend requests" from me, which I did not send. In fact I rarely send anything of my own just like to keep in touch with friends who do. I tried to follow the instructions to change my password ***** which I did a few minutes ago, but still do not know it that has negated anything "bad" that has or is occurring relative to the "hacking". Thanks
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: I just reset my password ***** 10 minutes ago. I don't think the screen I was on asked me to also reset my user name.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: VAries - I use an Iphone and that is how I found out about the 20+ people who have reported the "friend request" that was being sent out - not by me. But I switch back and forth between my MacBook and my iPad - throughout the day. I suppose most often though it would be through my iPhone.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I followed the instructions when I got home (so am now on my Macbook) that appeared when I went into the FB site and clicked on "report a problem" (I think that is what it was called.) I went onto my home page and clicked the down arrow in the top right corner (though I think the instruction was indicating a different arrow that I could not identify. When I reported the "hacking" I received the screen directing me to change my password, which I did, but that was the entire request.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: sorry, I don't KNOW what else I could possibly be able to tell an expert - or anyone else for that matter. I just would like my friends to not be compromised by whatever has happened. Unfortunately I do not even know how to send out a blanket message to ALL my friends ( I don't really do much on FB personally - I just like to keep up to date with friends by viewing THEIR entries.)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Cory replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I am Cory.

I am sorry this has happened.

Are you sure the requests are coming from your actual profile?