Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Pearl -- i am at wits end. My husband passed away last and

Customer Question

Pearl -- i am at wits end. My husband passed away last and always served as my personal IT guy. So, I am embarrassed to ask this question, but here goes:
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: All I know is that my email goes through an ATT server. My email address is: ***@******.***. I can't find my list of folders that is usually a column on the left hand side of my email.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: On my portable laptop -- an Acer....Aspire V5-122P-0637
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know how to troubleshoot. I was doing my email and must have accidentally hit something and the folders column on the left disappeared. It happened once before and my husband came in and did something simple to find it/call it back up.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope and thanks.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

How are you accessing your emails? Is it via an email program such as outlook 2016?

Or via your web browser?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am using Mozilla Thunderbird. Also I would prefer doing this via your web facilities not texting over the phone
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

That is no problem

Go to View > Folders > All

And they should then show.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that from the beginning. But the folder column that usually appears to the left of my email screen does not appear. I don't know what I did -- accidentally hit something on my keyboard or something -- but the column just disappeared. I have all my emails filed in those folders and need immediate access for a meeting.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Do you see the name of your email account on the left with an arrow on it?

If you click the arrow does it show?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This happened once before and my husband did something simple to get the folders column to reappear.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

yes, but he could see your screen to see exactly what has happened (I offered this service but it was rejected)

But I asked before please

If you click the arrow does it show?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, when I am on my email, all I have is an email screen with nothing to the left at the top except a tab that says :"inbox."
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ill connect at no extra cost for your Camila

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just tried to download Teamviewer twice. I got this message: "Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at downloadus2.teamviewer.com"
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, looks like your firefox has an issue as it is working for other customers

Are you on a windows or mac computer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
windows
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, how can you keep these messages from coming over my phone as texts, please?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

I cannot control there here sorry, but this will be one of the last once I connect

Click this link, click I agree and run the file please

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=c949da9b-7ad5-4f52-ad09-343830ba6dbc

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Richard -- I cannot agree to: ".... to give the Expert full access to and control over your computer (including permission to download and use software on your computer, gather system data, modify settings, etc.) for computer diagnosis, service and repair....." for this simple email issue. What are my options other than that?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

You will be seeing what I do and able to control and close the connection at anytime

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Richard , please don't take this personal. What happens to access to all access to my computer, data etc when we are done with our transaction? Understand, this is all new to me.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

it is no problem, All I do is see your screen and can use your mouse and keyboard. You can stop this at any time.

I have done this thousands of times over the decades and I am only interested in fixing your problem

Once done and closed, its not possible to connect again unless you run the program again

100% secure

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks so much for your response and patience, Richard. I will go in and download now.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

thank you Camila

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I clicked on download and it gave me 2 options -- save file or cancel. I saved the file as a Word document -- didn't know what else to do. Meanwhile, I have to leave for that meeting now and I don't have access to the info from my email folders for the meeting. What happens now because I have to leave?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok.. you run the file remember?

Not sure why you saved it as a word document

But try this in Thunderbird

Go to View - Layout. Is 'Folder Pane' checked? If not, check it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am very literal -- when I go to VIEW there is no LAYOUT option of the 7 options available
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

This is likely part of the issue

Can you please just download and run the file so I can connect

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I clicked on DOWNLOAD and it gave me a box with only 2 options -- SAVE FILE or CANCEL. When I click on Cancel it brings me back to the the original download screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok strange, then choose save file and then double click the file to run it please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not working as I saved it as a Word file and only get gibberish. I have to leave now ---I guess I will login and start all over when I start. Sorry about that. and thanks for your efforts
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, though why are you saving it as a word file?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's all I knew how to do......:-( ....I am a novice at all this. signing off
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, let me know when we can continue please