Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I tried to add a new From address in the address field of my

Customer Question

I tried to add a new From address in the address field of my email header. Instead I lost the entire FROM line (I still have to; cc; reply to; subject) and am not able to retrieve it. Can you help me.
Category: Email
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 8 months ago.

If it went away, it went away. If you had an extremely long list of addressees, you should have first entered it into Notepad and then done SelectAll / Copy / Paste so that you wouldn't lose it. You are out of luck. Sorry.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't understand. If you cannot fix it by telling me how, how can you do it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did NOT lose the address. I lost the address field : From

You may have scrolled it off the page. I'm not sure what a "new" From address means. An inbound message has a fixed From address. When you send a new message, you leave the From field alone unless you're trying to pull a fast one; the thing to do is to add a Reply-To field that differs from the From field. You should be able to click on the label (To, Cc, From, whatever) underneath the last such line that you filled in, and it should prompt you (dropdown) to choose "From" or "Reply-To."

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried to put my husband email address in as well as my own so he could send out emails as well. Now I cannot send out any for I do not have a From line

I just told you what to do. An e-mail cannot be FROM two different people. It doesn't work that way. Use REPLY-TO as instructed. Kindly do not ask questions and then utterly and completely ignore what the expert has to offer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please re read my note. My email will not go out. I still have a Reply To but the outgoing server needs a From line which has disappeared.

Create a brand-new message and copy the text from the old one. That will be easiest for you. Don't type in fields when you don't understand what they mean. Fill out TO, SUBJECT, and MESSAGE. PERIOD.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bruce,
You have tried and I have tried but we are not making headway. Please do not charge my account for this for your suggestion, although you are trying, does not solve the problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good bye and good day to you.

I don't think you have the capacity to interact with the expert or, frankly, even to clearly state the problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hope he can understand what I am trying to say my problem is
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 8 months ago.

Would you like me to remotely connect to your machine and try to solve this problem ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thank you. I do not want to incur the cost under the circumstances.

I will do this(remote screen sharing) for just $5 . Will that be okay for you ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. Thank you.

ok