Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.

How do i figure out if my gmail account was given to someone

Customer Question

how do i figure out if my gmail account was given to someone else due to inactivity? I set up the account about 2 years ago and soon after forgot the password ***** therefore never used it... I would love to have this account now. It is my name and it would be so convenient. I cannot remember my password ***** i did not set up a recovery email... when I go thru the series of questions I wind up with a page telling me that a recovery code is being sent to an email address that I don't recognize.... (it is mostly xxxx's but what remains I don't recognize)....
thank you. ***** *****
I do have a functional gmail account that I set up the same day as the one I cannot remember.. I did not link them...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello? Im not seeing an answer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 month ago.

Google will mark your account as inactive after a period of 9 months without logging in. After that time the name will be available again for someone else to use. If when going through the password ***** procedure you did not recognize any of the information then someone else has created an account using what was once your gmail address. Unfortunately you will not be able to use that same account name.

Please take a moment to click the stars above to acknowledge you received my answer, 3 or more stars please.

If you would like to discuss this further feel free to reply.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok bummer. thanks
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 month ago.

You're very welcome. Sorry that you cannot get the account name back.