Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer

Someone hacked into my iCloud account and deleted emails

Customer Question

Someone hacked into my iCloud account and deleted emails from my aol account. The emails were old. I think that they deleted them a while ago, as much as 2 years ago, even. Any chance of recovering them?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I will help you now.

Please give me more details about this problem. How or why were your aol email and icloud accounts "linked"? Were you forwarding mail to icloud? Note that icloud and aol are two completely different companies and accounts and would ordinarily not be connected in any way to each other.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All of the info on my phone was stored on my iCloud account. When my iClould account was hacked, it was done so with the sole purpose of deleting certain information: text messages, emails, notes, photos etc. They accessed my aol account through my iCloud account, so to speak.

If your icloud account was hacked, that wouldn't necessarily mean your aol email account was hacked. Have you checked your aol email account as well as your icloud account for the messages?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have checked them both. The emails are gone.
I am running into a meeting now. I'll check back in a bit later. Thanks.

I'm actually out of ideas on this, so will opt out to other experts for review. Another expert will be with you soon. Thanks.

Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried to reset your Apple ID to regain access to you iCloud account? I would recommend resetting the password ***** you haven't already.

You can do so by going to this link:

Once you've logged in, e-mails stay in the the Trash for 30 days but are then permanently deleted and are unrecoverable. Here is a link to try to recover mail from the trash.

You can also contact Apple customer service to see if they can do a restore. You'll need to be logged in to you Apple ID though.