James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Ever since the final conversion from hotmail to outlook, it

Customer Question

Ever since the final conversion from hotmail to outlook, it either takes forever for outlook to open or not at all. Plus, I just tried to attach a photo to an email and received an error to "try again". Even tried to attach with One Drive and it didn't work. I have an iMac.
Category: Email
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you tell me your mac version and what browser you are using to open your outlook mail?

Also, what do you mean final conversation between hotmail and outlook?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OSX El Captan Version 10.11.3 Tried Safari and Google Chrome. Chrome gave me a message that it couldn't find the server.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before, hotmail was hotmail. Then it changed to outlook. This past week they "updated" and changed the looks of everything. Ever since, I've been having problems.

When you log into your email. Do you use the web browser itself or an application?

What do you type in hotmail.com, outlook.com etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried it both ways. There is a connection on MSN, plus I've tried typing in Outlook.com either way, it does the same thing.

We need to try another browser as a test. This will narrow down an acct/profile issue or browser type settings we can fix.

Can you download firefox for mac?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-download-and-install-firefox-mac

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll try it now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have firefox open, I'll try outlook - stand vy

Thank you. Just to clarify, was it a fresh download of firefox or did you already have it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I tried it, it opened up quickly, but still hasn't shown my messages. It says I have six new ones, but the only thing showing are the folders. Clicking on the inbox doesn't help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already had it. Do I need to do a fresh download?

No. At the top right of firefox, click help, troubleshooting information, then click refresh firefox.

It will take about 2 minutes. Once complete, try to open up outlook one more time to verify if your inbox loaded.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says I need to restart after the update. Does that mean my computer or Firefox?

It means firefox itself. But, you can always reboot after it is finished then try firefox again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I reboot, I'll lose you.

That is fine. Just reopen firefox when done. Mac doesnt require reboots after downloads like windows.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, that didn't work, it hasn't opened at all this time. I need to be going. I live on a farm and have evening chores to do.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just got a message on Firefox that it couldn't find the server
Firefox can’t find the server at outlook.live.com.Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

That is fine. Please update this ticket when you get back. Sometimes we leave these open for days due to working around your

schedule.

We have other options. Just let me know when you have more time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just close it. I'm going to try to contact Outlook.

I understand. Good luck.

~Franklin

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Microsoft does offer free support. But the turnaround on your replies is going to be several h ours, or days. If you decide you want to continue here, let us know.

Dustin S