Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have Outlook 2007 on my laptop and a Windows phone. Until

Customer Question

I have Outlook 2007 on my laptop and a Windows phone. Until about a month ago, I was able to keep the calendars on the two sychronized going through a Microsoft account at Outlook.com. Now, although the calendars on the phone and Outlook.com stay synchronized, I can't connect between my laptop and Outlook.com. I understand there was some kind of change recently to Outlook.com. What do I need to do to restore functionality of my laptop-to-Outlook.com? The account on my laptop is MAPI, created using "Outlook Connector", as per Microsoft KB2459660.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dick, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What exactly is the error message that you are getting when connection fails?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are no error messages involved. Simply: none of the changes made to the calendar at outlook.live.com show up on the calendar for the MAPI account on my laptop, nor changes made on my laptop on the calendar at outlook.live.com, after doing a Send/Receive. The Send/Receive detail box shows Send/Receive for the new account as "Completed." Changes made to the calendar at outlook.live.com show up on the phone, and changes made on the phone show up on the calendar at outlook.live.com.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Is the problem with the calendar sync only? Are you still able to send and receive emails normally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not use Outlook.com for email -- only the calendar. The whole reason I chose a Windows phone was the assurance I would be able to sync my Outlook calendar with the phone, and this worked fine until about a month ago. As I said, it's my understanding there was some kind of change made to Outlook.com which may be what's made the difference.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no to the remote access offer -- I want to be able to fix this myself.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that clarification. Yes, there is a major change in the Outlook.com email infrastructure that caused the sync problems. Outlook.com accounts are migrated to Office 365. When you see Outlook Mail in the webmail, it means your account has been migrated already and the Outlook Connector will NO LONGER work.

Please remove the account, and then add it as an Exchange account. Then test if the sync works this time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just to be very clear, I go to Tools/Account Settings and select New. In the dialog box which comes up, I choose "Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP" Right so far? BTW, I plan to continue going one step at a time to be absolutely sure I get it right -- hope that's OK.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That brings up a "Add New E-mail Account" dialog box, subtitled "Auto Account Setup", with boxes for name, e-mail address and password, with verification. Also an empty check-box for manual creation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I do check the box, I'm taken to a screen where I can specifically choose Microsoft Exchange and the E-mail Service
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But if I do select that, and "Next," I'm told I have to exit Outlook and use the Mail icon in the Control Panel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll shut up now!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

That will not work. You can only setup an Exchange account if you open Outlook for the first time. I will send you the steps

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Eagerly waiting!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

The goal is to delete the account first and then add it back, this time as an Exchange account. Since you are using Outlook.com email which has been migrated to Exchange already, the auto-discovery will setup the account for you correctly.

1. Close Outlook if it is open
  2. Open Control Panel
  3. Locate and open the MAIL applet
  4. Click on Email Accounts... button
  5. Remove the email account listed there
  6. Then click on the NEW button and then ADD the account again
  7. DO NOT check the option to manually configure the account.
  8. Allow the wizard to complete the setup process and then test if the account works this time

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK -- give me a couple minutes!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Please take your time

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK -- I'm in the Mail applet. You say to remove the email account there. Actually, there are three, two of which are aliases which roll over into the primary one (*****@******.*** is one of the aliases --***@******.*** is my primary email). So if I delete the***@******.***, and then add it again, what will happen to my POP/SMTP connection to AT&T?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Are you getting "Outlook Mail" or Outlook.com when you access your ATT account? I was expecting you are using Outlook account

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To the best of my understanding of things, no. I can read my mail at att.net, and then Outlook on my computer downloads from there -- Incoming Mail Server: inbound.att.net, Outgoing Mail Server: outbound.att.net
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Until I got the Windows phone, I had no Microsoft account or Outlook.com calendar, etc.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Is your primary att account showing as a MAPI account there in Outlook 2007? You mentioned:

"The account on my laptop is MAPI, created using "Outlook Connector", as per Microsoft KB2459660."

Outlook Connector is only used for Microsoft/Outlook/Live/Hotmail accounts.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Are you saying that you are not using these ATT accounts for emails? Only for calendar?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My lack of ability to say things accurately may be causing a problem. Let me sort of start over. After getting the phone, and reading the Microsoft KB article, it said to download and install Outlook Connector, then open it and use its Create New Account process. So I did, using the new Microsoft account/Outlook.com user ID (I had chosen to use, as supposedly OK,***@******.***) and password. Prior to that, my email accounts box only showed the three AT&T POP3/SMTP accounts. Now there was a new one, MAPI. That created a second calendar on my laptop, into which I copied the contents of the original. Then, until a month ago, on Send/Receive, that new calendar would reflect changes made on the phone, also visible at outlook.live.com. Now no more. So, I think to answer your question, I do not use AT&T.net for anything but email -- my only calendar is the one in my computer in Outlook.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that confirmation. So indeed this primary ATT account is actually the Microsoft account. So yes, please remove it following the steps I gave you, then ADD it and allow the auto discovery of Outlook to set it up as an Exchange account.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OOOOOOKay! Stand by.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK -- problem. When it got to "Search for***@******.*** served settings, it came back Problem Connecting to Server. "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click next to attempt using an unencrypted connection" I certainly don't want that!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Please proceed with that option then

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OOOOOKay
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry -- still coming back in the Problem Connecting to Server box, asking me to verify the email address and make changes if necessary. But it's correct.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The "Manually configure server settings" box is back, though.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

I believe this is caused by the fact that the account is not ending with @outlook.com. I suggest that you access your Microsoft account using a web browser.

Then click on the gear icon on the top right and click on Connected Accounts. In the bottom part of the screen, under Email Aliases, click Manage or choose a primary alias.

Then CREATE a new alias ending with @outlook.com and then make it a primary alias.

Then add this primary alias (now an @outlok.com, not att) to your Outlook 2007 using the steps I gave you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did the stuff at outlook.com -- now will do the stuff in the mail applet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK -- got to "Your e-mail account is successfully configured to use Microsoft Exchange. And the new alias shows up in the Account Settings box as type Exchange. BTW: I put my original POP3/SMTP account back in, and identified it as the default account from which to send. Now close the applet and open Outlook?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lunchtime?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm just holding off on closing the applet and starting Outlook until I have your blessing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where'd you go?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is becoming concerning!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At the risk of seeming cruel or morbid, I hope you've had a heart attack, a death in the family, or something else serious enough to explain the lack of response! The stack of kudos for you next to my chair is at risk of toppling over!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've got to leave for an hour or so -- hopefully I'll find a response waiting for me when I get back!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am very sorry for the late reply. How did it go? Were you able to sync the calendar with your Microsoft account?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. After I returned and still hadn't gotten any reply, I went ahead and started Outlook. Now no tasks showed on my Outlook Today screen, and no second calendar. Doing Send/Receive did nothing new. So I've deleted the @outlook.com account and am back to square one. Two hours, and then your going AWOL is all the experience I need with just answer. I'll look help elsewhere.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dick,

I am very sorry about your issues and for not letting you know that I went offline. I was waiting for your reply but had to go sign off for the day since it was already 3:30AM my time.

Now is 10:41am and I can still help you with this issue if you let me.

Apologies,

Jess

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
AM?! I had no idea where in the world you were. And when I said I was back at square one, I misspoke -- really square one-half! I lost all my rules. Thanks for offering to keep trying, but I'm going to seek help elsewhere.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using our service and am very sorry if I was not able to help.

We guarantee our service so you can request for a refund of your deposit or you can choose to use it for future questions.

Here is the link about refunding:

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Best regards,

Jess