technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.

I currently have a "" e-mail address which

Customer Question

I currently have a "" e-mail address which stores my e-mails on Yahoo servers. I am shortly moving to an area that is only serviced by Hotwire (now called Fusion). I would like to retain my current e-mail address with my new internet service provider and since my mail is handled by Yahoo and not Bell South it seems to me I should be able to do that. I need to know if that could be possible or if I would have to obtain a new e-mail address which would clearly involve a lot of bother?
Thank you,
Sy Schulman ***@******.***
Category: Email
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 months ago.

Hello Sy, and thank you for using this service.

To date , there have been virtually no reports of people losing their legacy bellsouth/att/sbcglobal email accounts when they cancel service. ATT has put this into their terms. However, you'll want to be aware of a few things.

Once you cancel service with ATT, you'll no longer have any email support, including password ***** services with them. Your email account will be the same as a free yahoo account. You'll want to double check your backup email and security questions, because as with all free email, there is no administrative end user support if you are otherwise unable to get into your account someday due to a lost password ***** reset.

You'll want to make sure you don't leave ATT with a balance due, and this could result in termination of your email.

Even though Yahoo provides email for att, your email address is still the property of ATT. For this reason, you'll want to consider making a changeover to a new non-ISP based email in the future, as you have no direct control over what ATT may do with your email as time goes on.

Hopefully, this clears things up for you. If you have any further followup, please reply to me here.

Please remember to rate my time and help before you go. I continue to help before and after rating until you are satisfied. A positive rating is the only way I can get credit for my time in helping you. Thank you!