Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer
94203781

IS OUTLOOK AND MICROSOFT EXCHANGE THE SAME?

Customer Question

IS OUTLOOK AND MICROSOFT EXCHANGE THE SAME ?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Give me a few minutes to look over your question and I will respond shortly.

No, they have different functionalities but they complement each other. Outlook is an e-mail client that allows for downloading and connecting to different e-mail systems through either POP3, IMAP, or to an Exchange Server through MAPI or Outlook Anywhere. Microsoft Exchange is a server that hosts mailboxes that e-mail flows into. It can host thousands of mailboxes and e-mail clients, such as Outlook, can connect to it to read e-mail in the user's mailboxes. Exchange Server also have a web mail feature called Outlook Web Access that is very robust and acts much like Outlook, however the Outlook client has more features.

Outlook.com is very similar to Outlook Web Access on Exchange Server.

Let me know if you want to elaborate on any part of my explanation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jason, follow up question. On a new computer if I sign up for email will I do it thru outlook? That's what I used on my ole desk top.

You'll need to sign up for an email service like outlook.com or gmail.com the you can connect Outlook to that service.

Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this subject. If you were satisfied with my answer, please rate me with the stars on the chat page.

Thanks,

Jason