IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I am trying to log in to an old email address but get "We

Customer Question

I am trying to log in to an old email address but get "We don't recognise this one" as the response when I try to recover the password. I accessed the account about 3 months ago and changed the password ***** have not been back to it since.
How can I access this email account?
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Please tell me how old is the "*****@******.***" e-mail account (what your did you create that account in)? Also, are you sure it ends in @hotmail.com, since it could also end in @msn.com or @outlook.com or @live.com or @windowslive.com. Those are all Microsoft e-mail domains.

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think the account was created in 2009 or 2010. The email address is***@******.***. I accidentally deactivated it in May 2016.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello again! Thanks for confirming it was***@******.***.

I will check again to see what can be done. May I know if it was a free account or paid (Hotmail Plus)?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a free account and was used regularly up until 4th May this year.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

I checked again if it was possible to recover *****@******.***, but the Hotmail e-mail system reported the account could not be recognised as an active account no matter what I tried. Since it was a free account, these rules apply:

- account will be permanently deleted if not signed in within 365 days

- account will be permanently deleted if marked for deactivation and not signed in within 60 days

Unfortunately, since more than 60 days have passed since you marked it for deactivation, it is now permanently deleted and there is no way to get it back nor get any of the information saved under the account (e-mails, contacts, etc).

When you want to deactivate the account, you need to go through several steps and expressly confirm you want to deactivate the account. Hotmail system then actually doesn't deactivate the account right away, but only marks it for deactivation and gives you 60 days to change your mind. If you sign in to the account within that 60-day period, you can cancel the pending deactivation and continue using the account; however, if you don't sign in within that 60-day period, the account is automatically permanently deleted without the possibility of restoration.

You can confirm this information here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12412/microsoft-account-how-to-close-account

I am very sorry to bring you the bad news! Unfortunately, in this case, there is no way to get the account back.

If you require any other assistance, let me know.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require any other assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

If you don't require assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello again!

Several days have passed since we last communicated, and you haven't replied to my last message, so I am wondering if you received my full answer.

In case there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Obviously the account is irretrievable then?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

As I mentioned in my original answer, the "*****@******.***" account is permanently deleted and there is no way to get it back nor get any of the information saved under the account since more than 60 days have passed since you marked it for deactivation.

Regards,