Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I have been hacked. How do I get back to my yahoo account.

Customer Question

I have been hacked. How do I get back to my yahoo account. All of my information is saved in that inbox.
Thanks.
Kristen
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there Kristen and welcome

What is the exact message you now receive when you try to access your account?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hang tight. let me pull it up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is asking me for a recovery email
or an alternate phone #
my phone was broken and I don't have a recovery email
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have a new phone number
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Ok, how long ago did you have the mobile phone number?

The one on record

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have had the old number for about a month
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i just need instructions on what to do to unhack
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

how long has it been since you had a new phone number, losing access to the one on record? This is what I need to know please.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok so i accepted
what's next
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No, there was a payment failure, your card was rejected, so we have to continue here

Please respond to the question I asked

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just walk me through it if possible
i think my bank is restricting you from accessing more money from my account
i have high alerts
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, I still need you to answer please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1 month access to old phone
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just secured a new one two days ago
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, call your old number please and check if it has been allocated to someone already

Explain the situation and if they are willing to assist you to give you the code needed to reset your account.

If so, then run the reset procedure, have the code sent to the cell phone and you can then enter in the code to allow you to reset your password.

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok they do not have it
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, what do you mean with they do not have it? Have what? Who?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is no way to reset
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

I do not understand what your now saying sorry...

I gave a set of instructions for you to do

call your old number please and check if it has been allocated to someone already

Let me know please how you go.

Please can you do the instructions

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
listen to me. the old number is ***** on
period
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, sorry it was not clear from the messages you were sending, but if you tried and no one answered then

The recovery email you set with the account, why are you not able to access this one as well?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i had it set to an old job
cannot access
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, then Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in.

It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Yahoo being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can get access to the recovery options, which we tried, there is no way back in. Yahoo states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from what we attempted I am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year yahoo has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not yahoo, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome

If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you