Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I am trying to login and while the program opens, when it

Customer Question

I am trying to login and while the program opens, when it askes for my password ***** responds that "user does not exist" and asks for a new password ***** retry? It will not get new messages on this computer while it has on my phone?
Category: Email
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using a Dell E6400 with Windows 7 and I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Ahh.. so its via your thunderbird program, that its rejecting your password ***** saying the user doesnt exist..

Would you like me to connect to your computer from here and work on the issue directly on screen? If so we can set this up via a secure remote assistance session. That session is guaranteed meaning if I cant help you then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Otherwise, I can try and assist you via written support alone. Let me know how you'd like to begin.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think the answer can be worth $86. Lets work it by text.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

I agree, Id send the remote support offer at a much lower cost, and I have sent it. You dont have to accept it and we can work by text.

But the offer is there if you decide you do want me to connect and fix the issue.

With that being said, lets discuss thunderbird. What type of email account are you trying to add to it? A gmail, yahoo, aol,com, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a Gmail account that's been working with Tbird for a long time now. I was just trying to login to get new messages and got the password ***** error message.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

If you attempt to login to using the same username and password, will it let you in?

If so, on Tbird lets follow these steps to update the password

Once you have updated the password, will it let you send and receive mail now? If not, do you still get an error and if so what is that error word for word.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sending of password ***** user Fremont did not succeed. Mail server responded: User does not exist
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By the way, my Gmail account uses a different login completely and a different password. It is a separate account that I have mail forwarded to.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

the user Fremont is that Fremont

If so, make sure you have the full email address typed in on thunderbirds account settings page for that account, for username.

It must be the full gmail address for it to work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My email address is not a Gmail account. It's a account. I use Gmail as an alternate route for my to be forwarded to my phone and other computer. The problem exists only with my Tbird account on (*****@******.***).
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, the phone tried to correct my spelling. It's not a few account, it's an account
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Inside thunderbird for the account, are you using the full email address including the @ sign , in the account settings, username section?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that has never been changed. But now there are no stored password ***** in the options selection. And I get the same error message when I try to login. Same problem as when I started.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Have you tried removing the FEA account from thunderbird, and then adding it again from scratch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I have not. Do I remove the email address from the account settings? Or do I remove it from the account name or all?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

In the account settings page, select the account, t hen at the bottom left click account actions, remove account

Then, add the account again

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried that and I think its not working. Got a message about a certificate being used by others and it would not let me open the account. Gave me the same password ***** as before with unknown user message. Now what?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

That message you receiveed about the certificate being used by others and couldnt open the account.

I needed to know that full and complete and exact error message.

Also, when you said you got the same password ***** again, didnt we remove the account?

And didnt you say it would not let you open the account? ( if we deleted it, and couldnt not add it back how is it asking for a password?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I deleted that new account and created a second new account. It seems to have worked this time, and has let me into the account along with getting new messages. It's still getting them, about halfway through.
I have a new issue now. The inbox is located below a local folders file. Is it possible to move the inbox and those folders back to the top?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

This free add on for thunderbird allows you to sort the order of accounts, or folders.

Install the add on inside thunderbird. Then restart thunderbird, and then when you right click an account or folder, you should be able to move it up or down in the list.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.