GeekGal
GeekGal, Email Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree & 15 + years experience supporting email issues of all kinds
76665483

How do I remove the "categorized mail" feature? Since I

Customer Question

How do I remove the "categorized mail" feature?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Since I recently updated Apple software? It (the update) has also started ultra rapid discharging of my battery which now goes from 100% to 0% in less than an hour and a half.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Barr
JA: The email expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Gard reset. Following 3 confusing multi-step "fixes" I found on the web. Called Apple Store--they seemed to have no clue despite the fact that I found many experiences like this on the web asking for fixes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the same question. I was never given chance to ask a technician before now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there! My name is*****'d be happy to help you with this. May I ask your email address please? (only the part after the @ sign). Also, are you accessing your email using a web browser or an email application such as Outlook, Thunderbird, or Eudora?

I see that you have requested SECURE REMOTE Assistance. I will be happy to offer that but there is an additional charge. This may be something very simple that I can help you with right here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. You can try to help me here.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Email: ***@******.***Web browser: Safari, Google
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that information. IDO you want to have all of your email in your inbox instead of having it in categories like Primary, Social, and Promotions? if that's what you're trying to do, just click on SETTINGS (the icon that looks leek a gear in the upper right of the gmail browser page) and then click on "configure inbox", Please uncheck everything other than Primary and then click on save. That will put all of the emails into one category, Primary.

I hope that I have provided the information that you were seeking. If so, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you as far as it goes, but you have not addressed the issue of the supersonic draining of my battery, started at the same time as the change in the inbox configuration: right after I updated Apple's software at their request.
When I looked for this problem on the web, there were many, many complaints that this has occurred to others, but there were no workable fixes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just tried to fix the inbox configuration, but when I click on settings, there is no choice like "inbox configuration".
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry. Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you indicated that you were using the web browser to view your email, meaning that you use either Safari or google to go to mail.google.com. If you were, those instructions would work. Perhaps you are using MacMail instead? I'm not ignoring the battery drain issue. That's a big issue. I just thought it best to tackle one issue at a time. Perhaps we should schedule a remote session after all. It looks as though it is isn't going to be as simple as I first thought. what would be a good time for you? I work a FLEX schedule so I can probably arrange to be here at any time that is convenient for you if I know ahead of time. Please advise.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You could do remote manipulation almost any day from 1300 hrs to 2400 hrs.
I was using Safari and Google. But I opened Settings on my phone. Will try again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just tried again to change inbox configuration by going to Google, but there is no choice for "inbox configuration " after tapping "settings".
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Perhaps I am still confused. Are you having this problem on your phone or on your MAC computer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On iPhone. Mac puter is frozen.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Ok. I finally understand. First, I can't offer SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE because we don't have the capability of remotely connecting to iPhones. Second, my first answer was correct. You need to sign into gmail on a computer and do this:

Click on SETTINGS (the icon that looks leek a gear in the upper right of the gmail browser page) and then click on "configure inbox", Please uncheck everything other than Primary and then click on save. That will put all of the emails into one category, Primary. Once you've made changes here, close the app on your iPhone, then re-open it and you should see the change.

You can't change your inbox categories from the Gmail app for iPhone or iPad. It must be done on a computer. Do you have a computer than you can use to make this change? If not, let me know and I will offer a phone call so I can get your account info and login and make the changes for you.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Now that we know how to solve the category problem for your email let's address the battery drain issue.

STEP 1

First, let's shutdown and restart the phone. Restarting is one of the oldest tricks in the book for troubleshooting, but that's for good reason. It often works! So let's start there with the simple things and then move on to others.

1. Press and hold down both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time.
  2. Keep them held down until you see an Apple logo.
  3. Let go and watch carefully to see if you still have an issue. Make a note of your battery life. Then put your iPhone down for a half hour or so. When you come back to it, look to see how much battery life you have. If there is only a minor difference, you're probably okay. If there's a substantial difference then we need to continue troubleshooting.

STEP 2

iOS 9.3.2 has a battery usage utility that lets you know exactly which apps and services are using your battery and how. Let's use it to see where the problem might be

1. Launch Settings from your Home screen.
  2. Tap on Battery.
  3. Wait a moment for Battery Usage to populate.

4. Tap on the Show Detailed Usage button to get a breakdown of power usage
  5. Tap on Last 7 Days to get a broader look at power consumption over time.

It can be tricky to understand, but here's the deal: If you see iCloud Photo Library there, and you've just upgraded, it's a sign you're downloading thumbnails and things should return to normal when you're done. If you see Facebook there and it says 4% on screen and 40% on background, it's a sign something has gone wrong.

At that point, you can force quit the app that is causing the problem and get your power consumption back to normal.

1. Double click the Home button to bring up the fast app switcher.
  2. Swipe to the app you want to force quit.
  3. Touch the app card and flick it up and off the screen

If an app appears to be consistently misbehaving, you can try uninstalling and re-installing it.

Please try Step 1 and Step2 and let me know how it goes.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Here are few other things that you can do to improve your battery life.

1. OS 9’s Low Power Mode

iOS 9 has a new feature – Low Power Mode. iOS 9 is said to provide an extra hour of battery life. To get the most out of your battery, start using the Low Power Mode by navigating to Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode and turning it on.

2. If you don’t use the iCloud Keychain, disable it. To turn iCloud Keychain off, navigate to Settings > iCloud > Keychain and toggle it off.

3. Location services use a substantial amount of battery. If you want to turn Location Services off, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and toggle it off.

4. If you get a lot of alerts for unwanted events and posts, you are advised to turn your push notifications off. To do this, go to Settings > Notifications and turn off the app that you don’t want to be notified about. This will save your battery life altogether.

5. If you don’t use your phone to track steps and activity, it's s good idea to to turn off the Motion & Fitness feature to save battery life. Go to Settings > Privacy > Motion and Fitness and toggle it off.

6. Spotlight searches all apps and services including Web, music and more. It is constantly running, and indexing the contents of your phone, thus using a lot of battery life. If you rarely use it, consider turning it off by going to Settings > General > Spotlight Search.
7. The App Store automatically installs updates for pre-installed apps. If yu want to maximize your battery life you can turn it off and install updates when it suits you, like when you are plugged in to power . To turn off automatic updates go to Settings > iTunes and App Store > Turn off ‘Updates’ from Automatic Downloads section.

8. When you are not connected to a Wi-fi network, your phone is continuously searching for available networks. This can be a HUGE drain on your battery, so when you're away from your home or office and not connected to wifi, turn it off. to do so, touch Settings > Wi-Fi, and slide the Wi-Fi button from On to Off.

9. The same is true of Bluetooth. If yo are not actively using it, turn it off by going to Settings > Bluetooth and slide the Wi-Fi button from On to Off.

Taking the time to make these changes should result in noticeable improvement in your battery life.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hello! I'm just following up to see if my suggestions helped you to resolve your issue. If so, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. If they did not hep you to resolve your issue please let me know so I can continue to work with you or "opt out" so another expert can help you. Please let me know your preference. Either way, have a great weekend!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Sorry to be so slow to get back to you.
I can't do the inbox configuration fix until I get the g.d. Mac unfrozen.
I have gone thru the lengthy list of things to do to take the load off the battery, and have tried them.
I deleted the iCloud Keychain.
I had already done 4 or 5 hard resets, but I did another 2.
I turned off music and videos in the app panel.
I turned off notifications.
I recharged to 100% and then unplugged the cable .
None of these have had any effect on the rapid discharging of the battery.
Furthermore, while the steps may have to do with lightening the load on the battery, they do not address the cause of the change in the functioning of the battery. THAT has to be a new glitch in the software caused by the updating done by Apple. Because the fact is that the battery functioned perfectly well prior to the updating WITH all the loads ON, that I subsequently turned off.
Don't know what else to say. Not even sure that removing the last update ( if I knew how to do it) would fix it, because the glitch caused in the software by the updating may not be reversed by simply undoing the last update. Any further ideas?
NS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry. I've worked very hard to help you but it seems that my efforts have been in vain.

I will opt out and see if someone else can help.