James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Email - I want to have nameserver MX records route my email

Customer Question

Email - I want to have nameserver MX records route my email for my domain to an external email server that is NOT on my hosting platform. For example, my nameserver is namecheap.com. I have domain foo.com and I host it on 1and1.com. I do NOT want to use 1and1.com to route email. I want to use gmail or some other email server. The send and receive for email address MUST have the domain name foo.com in it. For example, I can send and receive email using***@******.***, where the send/receive email address will show foo.com. I am hoping there is a free solution for this, like using free gmail which can control***@******.******@******.******@******.*** ...
Category: Email
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 5 months ago.

You want to use your domain to receive and send emails at Gmail?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not want the email to be routed through my hosted platform. Simply put, I want name servier MX records for***@******.*** to route to an email hosting service. I want***@******.*** to be the send/receive address in all emails. I do NOT want any email routing to go through my hosting platform MyDomain.com

Understood. Which e-mail hosting company do you want to do this with? If it's Gmail, then you will need to sign up at google.com/a/ for google apps, and then add your domain there. once done, we will point the mx records for your domain via your dns provider to Gmail.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this explains how to use FREE gmail for upto 10 email address. Can I use that method?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gv9knBA4aA

This video is from 2011, Google Apps did allow people to use their services for free for private domains, but that is not the case any more. You will have to sign up with them, pay them to subscribe and then set it up.

Also this video shows how to add your existing account to Gmail, but since you want to totally route mails through Gmail, you will not be able to add. Nothing will exist on your current server if you change the MX Records. Everything will be via Google.

You can send and receive into your existing Gmail account, but the mails will first go to your current server and then Google will download them. This doesnt involves MX records etc.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I route my email for MyDomain.com without hitting my hosting platform?NO:NameServer-->Hosting Platform --> Email HostingYES:Nameserver --> Email Hosting

First you will need to sign up with Google at google.com/a/ and add your domain there. Once that is added, you then need to login to your hosting or where the DNS is configured, and set the mx records to the following if its Gmail:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/174125?hl=en

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i need a cheaper solution, they want 5 to 10 a month per email address

I can instruct with setting up with a host, or anyone else but i cannot suggest a cheaper solution. I personally use nexcess.net but i do not host my emails with them, i use Google Apps myself, reason being they are secure and my mails do not go to Spam. Most cheaper solution results in mails being filtered as spam.

If you go with Nexcess, they are cheap with hosting but there are no guarantees about spam. You will only use the host to send mails.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** bitrx24.com which is a good solution.
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for letting me know.