ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.

I had an error message, that said not to turn off computer,

Customer Question

I had an error message, that said not to turn off computer, call for tech support. I restarted my computer and it seems to be ok. A few minutes ago, a person called saying that I need to fix my computer. I asked for his number and told him that I would call him back. Help
Category: Email
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Hi Sarah, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

First off, I can tell you that this was a scam and if you'd like I can even explain to you exactly how the scam works. Did the individual you spoke with give you a company name by chance?

Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Sarah, you seem to be away from your computer so I'm going to go ahead and leave an answer for you.

What you saw on your screen was an advertisement. Small tech companies pay to have their phone numbers inserted into those ads and when they talk to you they tell you that you have all sorts of problems with your computer that don't usually exist. Typically they will try to convince you to let them connect to your and once they connect they'll show you a lot of things to try to scare you into giving them money.

The bot***** *****ne is that you should ignore all such advertisements and calls. Typically, you will get these pop up ads when going to smaller websites that are off the beaten path. If you get them while on regular sites like Google, Facebook, MSN then you'll want to run a virus scan on your machine.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

And before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.