GeekGal, Email Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree & 15 + years experience supporting email issues of all kinds

I got some malware on my computer yesterday and started

Customer Question

I got some malware on my computer yesterday and started seeing Temporary Glitch - Error 14 on my Yahoo Mail when I tried to send new mail or reply to e-mails. I did the recommended workaround (clearing cache and cookies, browser history) and that didn't work. I also upgraded all my browsers. Sometimes it works on Explorer or Chrome, but not consistently. I tried PC Cleaner to clean the registry. That didn't work either. Now I can't reply to e-mails at all. I am stuck! I can't work without e-mail. Please help ASAP! Thanks.
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Yahoo account?
Customer: About two days.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything I just sent you.
JA: The email expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I removed all the malware that was added.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using Windows 10.I would prefer to do this without remote access.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information and I respect your decision about remote access. I will be signing off now so please let me opt out so that other experts can assist you further.

You will be notified through email and through this page when another expert joins you here.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 3 months ago.

Which web browser are you using right now?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi Jennie! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. I will provide detailed instructions for thoroughly cleaning your computer and removing any spyware, malware, or virus that you may have.

1) Download the free version of Ccleaner from Piriform
2) Download Malware Bytes from and install. Be sure to choose the free 14 day trial for now. I do think it is a wonderful tool for protecting us from malware and spyware that virus programs don't always catch but you can consider the purchase of it later.
PART TWO - boot to safe mode with networking
Boot to safe mode by following these instructions:
If you can boot the PC to the login screen, you can hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on Restart to be taken to the troubleshooting option screen. Click on the Troubleshoot button. Next, select Advanced Options. Now choose the Windows Startup Settings option. Finally click on Restart. The computer will boot to the Startup Settings Screen, where you can select Enable Safe Mode with Networking
PART THREE - running the scans
When you have successfully rebooted into safe mode:
1) Run MalwareBytes. It may be a lengthy process. Allow Malware Bytes to remove or clean anything that it finds.
2) Run Mcaffee’s Stinger. Again it has the potential to be a very lengthy process. Allow it to remove or clean or quarantine anything that is found. Please make a note of anything that it may find.
3) Run Ccleaner. Click on run cleaner in the bottom right corner of the window. Click on ok. If you are asked to close Google Chrome please do so. When that is complete please click on the Applications Tab and repeat the process. Next, click on Registry, and then on Scan for issues. When the scan has completed, please click Fix Selected Issues. Click yes, then click save, and when it completes (this one will be quick) click on close.
Finally, reboot your computer and hopefully everything will be clean and there will no viruses , spyware, or malware. If your scans did find things and the problems recur later, you will need to turn off system restore, reboot into safe mode and repeat all of this again, as some viruses, malware and spyware can hide in System Restore files. Then when you've thoroughly cleaned again, please reboot and then turn System Reboot Back on. I'll walk you through turning system restore on and off later if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I'll try this. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using Firefox, but I have had the same results with Explorer and Chrome.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information Jennie. I am confident that the steps that I provided will take care of this problem for you. It isunlikely that it is a browser issue since it is happening in all browsers. It is much more likely to be spyware, malware, or a virus, but...just to be sure, I also recommend checking all of your browsers for unnecessary or potentially harmful add-ons. Here's how to do this for :

Google Chrome:

1. Click the menu icon "≡" at the top right of the browser window, choose "Tools" and choose "Extensions" to open a new "Options" tab.
  2. Uncheck "Enabled" to disable an extension, or click "Remove" to delete it completely.
  3. Click the "Disable" link under the plugin you want to disable.

• Open the menu.
  • Choose Add-ons.
  • Click the plugins tab.
  • Click on the drop down next to the plugin you wish to disable.
  • Select "Never Activate" from the available choices.

Extensions can be installed, uninstalled, or disabled from within the extensions manager. To open the extensions manager, select the menu item Extensions > Manage Extensions.

Internet Explorer 11

To turn off add-ons

1. Open Internet Explorer, select the Tools button , and then select Manage add-ons.
  2. Under Show, select All add-ons and then select the add-on you want to turn off.
  3. Select Disable, and then Close.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ran the two programs in Safe Mode and rebooted like you suggested, but I am still getting the same error message. Ready to scream now!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

What is the exact error message that you are getting? Would you be willing to allow me to remotely connect your computer and work on this while you watch? This is a PREMIUM SERVICE and there is normally a charge of $39 but I will offer it to you for the lowest price that we can charge for a PREMIUM SERVICE ($5).

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Jennie, have you gone through the process of disabling extensions for your browsers as I suggested? If so, are you still having issues?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Jennie, do you still need assistance? If so, I would be happy to remotely connect to your computer and work on this for you while you watch at no additional charge. Just let me know when you'd like to get started!