GeekGal, Email Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree & 15 + years experience supporting email issues of all kinds

I have mailing list on Thunderbird that have worked just

Customer Question

I have mailing list on Thunderbird that have worked just fine with Verizon Fios for years. This worked through June 11. Now if I send with an address list know to work previously Verizon says syntax in incorrect. This happens with all address list.
Category: Email
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It should state "lists", not "list"
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hi there Peter. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Can you tell me please what version of Thunderbird you have and what your Operating System is?

If you're not sure, you should be able to use one of these links to find out. Or, if you prefer I can connect to you remotely and work on this while you watch.

For Windows

Can you click this link and tell me what you see please?

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X

Have you checked to see if there are updates available for Windows and updates avaialble for Thunderbird? Often there will be updates with "bug fixes" that address new developments in the way that service providers such as Verizon Fios work. I recommend that you begin troubleshooting by making sure that you are using th emost recent version of Thunderbird, and checking for and installing all appopriate updates.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

If you'd like, I can perform these steps for you while you watch via the Premium Service of Secure Remote Assistance. This is completely optional. If you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and work on the issue for you. If you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Please also check to ensure that you are using Port 465 to send mail.

Configure Thunderbird to use port 465 for sending email

In order to change your port settings to port 465 in Thunderbird, you must do the following:

Open Thunderbird, select the Tools menu and from the drop-down list select Account Settings.

1. From the Account Settings window, in the left-hand column, select Outgoing Server (SMTP)and from underneath the Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings area of the window on the right, select Edit….
  2. In the SMTP Server window, enter 465 in the Port: field. Ensure you checkmark the Use name and password field then enter your Verizon user name in the User Name field, omitting the portion of your email address.
  3. Select SSL/TLS in the "Connection Security" dropdown.
  4. When you are finished, select OK.

After you have completed the above steps for Thunderbird, you will be configured to use port 465 to send email with much greater safety and protection from spam and viruses.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Outgoing server is setup exactly as you state. There are no problems sending emails without address lists, but individual addresses. System is Window 7.0 home premium. Thunderbird is 45.1.1. Windows and Thunderbird are set up for automatic updates. I have already queried Thunderbird and the internet in general and found no one reporting a similar problem So I have pretty much done on my own what you have suggested. My guess is an update created an incompatibility..
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

You are most likely correct. Please give me a few moments to investigate further and see if I can find anything further. If I don't then I would suggest that you open a trouble ticket with Verizon AND with Thunderbird and tell them everything that you told me, including the version info for Thunderbird and Windows and the date that the problem first began, as well as the fact that you have tried creating a new list, with the same results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was unaware that Thunderbird had such a service other than ask a question to the community which already I did.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are we still connected?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

You are correct. I apologize. Most email services offer a paid version with support but Mozilla is all volunteer. I had forgotten that. I am not seeing anything yet. You are definitely on the latest version. Have you considered temporarily using a different email client other than Thunderbird? I would suggest possibly Eudora. If you test with it and it works correctly with a test email list, then I should be able to assist you with exporting your Thunderbird lists and importing them into Eudora. Please do go ahead and enter a ticket with Verizon Fios to see if they have suggestions, but also consider Eudora while we wait for a fix if they don't have one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can install Eudora. I assume the is freeware. Can I export all mail from Thunderbird to Eudora including archives, sent, current inbox, addresses and address lists?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Yes, we should be able to do that with a minimum of difficulty. May I ask what your sending email address is? Does it end in or or something else? Recently Verizon began the process of migrating addresses to aol. Were you affected by that?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually I think the easiest test is to install and export 1 or more address books only and test. If this solves the problem I can migrate the remainder later. If it doesn't work i shall have to work with Verizon and the Thunderbird community.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I read about aol, but my verzion email is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would assume another solution is to avois verzon as an email provider and use only as an ISP and use Gmail. What do you think of that?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Ok. After further review it seems to have been only for customers in Texas, Florida, and California. If you do elect to install Eudora and test, you will need to export the address list as a csv file and then import as a csv file in to Eudora. I'm not sure how well that would work. Gmail may have more limitations than Verizon and you may have a greater number of bouncebacks. It is certainly worth trying though. Please keep me posted on how things progress.

If the information that I have provided has helped,

If the suggestions that I have provided have been helpful, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. I appreciate your attention to this and your comments on alternate solutions. Do you have any other suggestions for an email client excluding Outlook Express?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

If you are planning to test using gmail servers you could use gmail as your client, however, I think Eudora is about the only thing you will find short of Outlook that will have all of the features that you are used to having with Thunderbird.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I shall delay rating. If any of these things work I'll give you a positive rating.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. If my suggestions don't help, rather than issue a negative rating, please allow me to opt out and see if another expert can help, or request a refund for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I appreciate your attempt, but it did not solve the problem. I suggest that you opt out and request a refund for me.After 1.5 hours more of screwing around I found the following: each time a mailing list is used Verizon returns the syntax error, however, if while still open I try to second a second time it goes through flawlessly. As they say where I live "wicked stupid".