Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

Just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. Cannot receive

Customer Question

Just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. Cannot receive mail from windows live mail. Can send mail o.k. Just set up an alias with outlook.com and can send and receive mail from that address, but really do not want to use the alias.
Category: Email
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 5 months ago.

Hi Virginia! Windows 10 has a new mail app (simply called "Mail") that can be used to send and receive messages with your Outlook.com email address. Unfortunately, Windows Live Mail can no longer be used to sync your email -- you can read more about that here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Windows-Live-Mail-2012-will-not-connect-to-Outlook-com-45453b92-373b-4bbb-88ca-f8ec74f8e8fd

To use the new "Mail" app on Windows 10 with your Outlook.com email address:

1. Click the START button > All apps > Mail to launch the app.

2. Select Get started > Add account. (If you've been to the Mail app before you won't see the get started option.)

3. Enter your @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com or @msn.com email address and password, and select Sign in.

4. Select > Manage Accounts > Change mailbox sync settings to set how far back in time you want to synchronize your Outlook.com data with the Mail app.

...and that'll do it! If you run into any problems or have additional questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I followed the steps you outlined I am receiving mail on my email address***@******.***, but not on my original address:***@******.***.
How can I receive mail from that account?

Hi again Virginia! You can configure your ATT.net email account using these steps:

Step 1

Open the "Mail" app, and then -- at the bottom of the left navigation pane -- choose Settings > Manage Accounts > Add account.

Step 2

Choose "OTHER ACCOUNT."

Step 3

Enter your @att.net email address and click "Next." Select "POP3" in the drop down menu and set the address to pop.att.yahoo.com. In the "SMTP" box, set the address to smtp.att.yahoo.com. Click "outgoing server requires authentication" and click "Next."

Enter your email, login and password ***** click "Next." Click "Finish," then "Properties" and then "Advanced."

Note: If you receive the message “We couldn’t find info for that account. Make sure that the email address is correct and then try again,” you’ll need to choose Try again three times before the button changes to Advanced. Choose Advanced and follow the steps in the next section to add your account.

Step 4

Set the "Outgoing" port to "465," and the incoming port to "995." Click "OK," then "Close."

Step 5

Choose Done. Your data will start syncing as soon as your account is set up.

Hi Virginia! It's been awhile since we chatted, so I wanted to touch base and make sure your email issue was resolved?

Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you!