Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.

Locked out of my account, cannot remember password or secret

Customer Question

Ian locked out of my account, cannot remember password ***** secret question
JA: Have you contacted anyone about your account?
Customer: Cannot get anyone at yahoo to talk too
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Try to add phone # ***** it came up with a different name
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I am not great with computers, I just need my email for work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Are you locked out, or did you just forget the password? When you try and sign in for example is it saying your password ***** *****?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried what I thought was my password ***** then it said I was locked out
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Ok did it say you were locked out because you entered the wrong password ***** many times?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it did
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

This means you either have to wait 12 hours to try again or reset the password ***** it sounds like you do not have access to your recovery options right? You cannot answer the security question and your phone number is ***** attached to the account?

Tell me this please when was the last time you could log in by entering the password?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I do not
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

When were you able to last sign in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am always signed in, it has been a while since I had to log in using my password
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Ok good, so it is possible the computer has the password ***** Which web browser do you use?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't know I have an I phone
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Are you on a computer right now or the phone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My Ipad
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Did you have the yahoo account set up on the ipad as well or just the iphone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No just on my phone
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Ok it is possible the account got hacked and password ***** changed, you are not able to use the mail on the phone right?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Right I am. It able to use my email on my phone
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Ok so you are still able to send and receive mail on the phone but you cannot log in on a computer because you do not know the password, is that correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I cannot receive or send emails from my phone
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, have you ever logged into this account from a computer or fro the web browser on ipad?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I have not
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Give this a try on the ipad.

1. Open the Settings app and tap “Safari”
  2. Under the General section, choose “Passwords & Autofill”
  3. Scroll down and tap on “Saved Passwords”, this will bring up a screen showing all website URL's with a password ***** that you can see and recover.

See if your yahoo password ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my password ***** ***** there
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password ***** answer the security questions correctly. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in without verifying it is yours. It sounds like you never logged in from the computer or saved the password ***** a computer so I cannot recover it from there. Also you never saved it on the ipad and it is not recoverable from the phone.

It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Yahoo being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** answers to the security questions there is no way back in.

Yahoo states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information, you should have at some point added a backup email address as well as a current mobile phone number and made sure your security questions were up to date. I realize a lot of people do not know they need to do this but the fact is, it must be done.

In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more time looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** answering the security questions correctly I am sorry to say.

I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year yahoo has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again. If you would like to keep trying you should go through the password ***** procedure because it does seem the account may have been hacked as passwords do not usually stop working for no reason.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not yahoo, their policies, or the situation itself.
Thank you,