Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer
94203781

About 10 days ago all items in my Inbox disappeared (in

Customer Question

About 10 days ago all items in my Inbox disappeared (in Gmail, and correspondingly - my phone and iMail).I believe all the mail now resides in "All Mail" but I'm hoping to identify what items were reclassified at that moment. I had about 200 emails in the Inbox, awaiting response, and now have them mixed in with 48,000 emails in the All Mail.What to do?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist. When you look at the "All Mail" folder, are they list chronologically? Do you see the most recent e-mails as once being in your Inbox?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason,I will need to look back. It was about 1 pm May 20 that this unusual event happened. It took me several days to search out a few that had been moved to my All Mail box. Looking at it now there is not an excessive number of files with that date on them so I believe it didn't just move them from Inbox to All Read and date them with that date. The date is probably the initial date of receipt
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Needing to go to a meeting. Will check back in for any further question or response later.Thanks

Yes the date is when they arrived. You can select the one's that you know were in the Inbox by checking them on the left and then clicking "Move to Inbox". It will label them with the Inbox tag and move them there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason, I'm back.I certainly know how to manually move things from the All Mail to the Inbox. What I'm needing assistance with is identifying what emails WERE in the inbox at that time and were collectively moved into the All Mail.Please advise as I'm not sure how this JustAnswer works.

It looks like your messages were somehow Archived. Try this:

Click on the All Mail folder, then in the Search bar at the top paste this filter: -label:inbox -label:sent -label:drafts

That should be all of your Archived e-mail.

Let me know if that works for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cuts it down, but still many thousand remaining - it only says "many" and I stopped at 2000... I had probably 100-150 working docs in my Inbox. My question is: is there any way to search out items that were archived at a particular moment in time? That's the only way I can imagine recovering the items I need. Is there any other way you could suggest?

The email will be chronological so you can scroll back to the tune you need. You might add -label:spam. In fact, try adding the -label: for every folder you have since you archive mail would not be sorted or labeled.

The email will be chronological so you can scroll back to the tune you need. You might add -label:spam. In fact, try adding the -label: for every folder you have since you archive mail would not be sorted or labeled

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't believe this will work as I didn't use many other labels.Please let me know if there's any other technique for identifying historic relabeling, or an action that happened at a single moment in time.Anything else to try?

It will exclude the mail that is in those other folders. Your archive mail won't have a label. There is not a way to search for when emails are moved.

Were you able get the emails back in the correct spot? Just checking in.

Just getting back with you. How is the situation with the Inbox e-mails?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was hoping there would be a way to automatically repopulate the inbox with the 200+/- emails that had been somehow moved into the All Mail on that date a few Fridays ago. It appears from you guidance that is not possible.Using the filters you recommended, and adding the -label:trash still leaves thousands of emails.Anything further you can suggest?

I found this on the official word for Inbox emails that have lost their labels.

"Gmail doesn't have folders. All your messages are saved in All Mail. Everything else (Inbox, Starred, Drafts, user-labels, etc) are just "views" into a sub-set of the messages in All Mail. And since there's only one copy of any message, if you delete it from any label, you're deleting the only copy, so it's gone from all of them. If you delete a label you remove that "view", but the messages are still in All Mail.

When you Archive a message, the only thing that does is remove the Inbox label from the message. The original message is still in All Mail along with all your other messages, and you can apply labels to them to make them easier to find later. Remember that Archive is an action, not a location."

GMail has an undo option but only for the last action. I'm sorry we couldn't get you what you wanted but it seems like the email is still there, it will just need to be searched for.

Jason