Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I need to retrieve an email that I accidentally deleted from

Customer Question

I need to retrieve an email that I accidentally deleted from trash
JA: Got it. The Email Technician will be able to help you. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i sent an email that I should not have and want to un send it. I was so nervous that I accidentally deleted it from sent and from trash!
JA: Is there anything else the Email Technician should be aware of?
Customer: can you help?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.

Which email service and/or email program were doing when you deleted this, gmail, yahoo, something else?

Also what are you ultimately trying to do, just recover the message from the trash?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
aol and I need to unsend an email that i just sent accidentally and deleted from sent and from trash!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can u help me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.

The only way I can help you is to explain your situation. You are not going to be able to "unsend" the message or recover it from the trash and I will explain why.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I really need to get the email back that I accidentally sent. Isn't there a recently deleted folder that is kept for 24 hours??
Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.

In some company networks with their own mail servers it is possible to recall an email if the email server allows it.

Unfortunately with AOL it is not possible to recall an email after it has been sent. There is no time in transit and when you clicked send the email is already in the other person's inbox nearly instantaneously.

Your account no longer has control over that message once it is sent. The only thing I can suggest is to send another email explaining that it was sent in error. Another thing you can do is send a bunch more emails to the same address in hopes they will think that it is just an error and will not bother opening the original message.

The trash folder is your back up for accidental deletion. When you delete something from the trash it is gone for good I am sorry to say.

The messages does stay in the trash but if you deleted it from the trash it is gone for good. Do you understand?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 6 months ago.

So really in this situation the deleted message cannot be recovered if it was deleted from the trash folder, since the trash is really your only backup for accidental deletion.

Like I said though. If you do not want the person to see the email you sent then perhaps send them 10 or 15 other emails with the same subject. Then send one last one saying that they should disregard the emails as there some a technical glitch that sent them. I cannot say for sure but hopefully they will not view the original one you do not want them to see.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help. Remember this rating is just for me, you are not rating AOL, or your frustration with the situation which is completely understand is not a good situation.

Thank you,

Chris